Fuel mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin LeClaire

Ridge Runner
Threads
Well I decided to take a ride to Delta Juction and back to see what kind of fuel mileage I am getting, drum roll please - 16 miles a gallon and thats with a 2 inch lift and 305's on. Hell if I desmog maybe I can squeeze out another mile a gallon.

Well I decided to take a ride to Delta Juction and back to see what kind of fuel mileage I am getting, drum roll please - 16 miles a gallon and thats with a 2 inch lift and 305's on. Hell if I desmog maybe I can squeeze out another mile a gallon.
If you recently unhooked your battery and cleared all your ECU settings, it helps prior to long trips. It takes something like 30 on-off cycles to lock in parameters to the ECU.

I DD my LC and I frequently will unhook the battery to intentionally clear my codes in order to improve gas mileage. Otherwise it uses my acceleration air/fuel maps from my DD in the city to operate from which will use more fuel than on the open road.

That’s good mpg. My cruiser is around 12 avg, not DD now but ugh.
All new ignition, runs great, but damn these efi inline 6s are thirsty. A lot like me!
Had a 72’ 455 4 barrel olds that did better lol.
Well unless you kept it off the floor, which was not very often. :)

That’s good mpg. My cruiser is around 12 avg, not DD now but ugh.
All new ignition, runs great, but damn these efi inline 6s are thirsty. A lot like me!
Had a 72’ 455 4 barrel olds that did better lol.
Well unless you kept it off the floor, which was not very often. :)

I had a 69 K10 w/ 350 bored 0.060", ported, polished, balanced w/ SM465 trans. 14 MPG on the hwy, 12 MPG whether I was pulling a trailer or running 80, or diggin in the mud. I also had about 375 HP to push around that 6200 LB brick. 3200 RPM at 70 MPH.

I was disappointed to say the least when I first started driving the LC with lack of HP and horrible mileage. It makes up for it in other ways. I couldn't fit four in the 69 K10.......and it didn't have A/C.....and I couldn't talk on the phone while driving.......and I'm too old to climb that high now anyway.

At this pace you’ll achieve ULEV status soon and get a rebate from the government for your fuel frugality.
Maybe a fuel tax credits or a grant for further research :clap::hmm:

I’ve owned this 80 about a year. My first 80 Many other Toyota’s. Anyway my brother said it’s the fastest one he’s floored to the rugs and hes had probly 15 80s over the years. Its heavy with leather and tools but pulls...sort of lol!

That
If you recently unhooked your battery and cleared all your ECU settings, it helps prior to long trips. It takes something like 30 on-off cycles to lock in parameters to the ECU.

I DD my LC and I frequently will unhook the battery to intentionally clear my codes in order to improve gas mileage. Otherwise it uses my acceleration air/fuel maps from my DD in the city to operate from which will use more fuel than on the open road.
That is good to know,thanks.

80 series and gas mileage....lol.... best ever was 16mpg with 255/85/16's and a 2 i

And it didn't have full-time 4wd, and it didn't have an automatic transmission, and on and on. These trucks when in good health get decent mileage for what they are. IMO.

I had a 69 K10 w/ 350 bored 0.060", ported, polished, balanced w/ SM465 trans. 14 MPG on the hwy, 12 MPG whether I was pulling a trailer or running 80, or diggin in the mud. I also had about 375 HP to push around that 6200 LB brick. 3200 RPM at 70 MPH.

I was disappointed to say the least when I first started driving the LC with lack of HP and horrible mileage. It makes up for it in other ways. I couldn't fit four in the 69 K10.......and it didn't have A/C.....and I couldn't talk on the phone while driving.......and I'm too old to climb that high now anyway.

And it didn't have full-time 4wd, and it didn't have an automatic transmission, and on and on. These trucks when in good health get decent mileage for what they are. IMO.

Actually, that being said, it's kinda sad that a 69 K10 with 375HP could get the same mileage for a slightly heavier truck for a naturally aspirated CARBURETED engine.

These SHOULD do so much better having the fuel injected, computer controlled, lock-up torque converter and OVERDRIVE and a few hundred pounds less, with a LOT less HP, compared to a truck that was 27 years older than that.

Then again, they haven't really got that dialed in for the NEW trucks either........

last tank averaged to just under 12 mpg and that was mostly highway driving. its been consistently in the 12 range give or take a bit on either side for the last 7 years

Do you try to figure out what the adjustment to the odometer is due to the larger than stock tires? If so, what equation do you use?

I often wonder if the odometer is connected in some way to the speedo. With my 315's my speed is exactly 10% lower than my GPS tracks me. Just not sure if I can make this assumption with the odometer.

yes I do, with 285 theres about a 6% difference between the speedo and gps speed so I add 6 miles per every 100 before I calculate it out.

Do you try to figure out what the adjustment to the odometer is due to the larger than stock tires? If so, what equation do you use?

yes it is, there is a speedo drive gear off of the t-case

I often wonder if the odometer is connected in some way to the speedo.

Actually, that being said, it's kinda sad that a 69 K10 with 375HP could get the same mileage for a slightly heavier truck for a naturally aspirated CARBURETED engine.

These SHOULD do so much better having the fuel injected, computer controlled, lock-up torque converter and OVERDRIVE and a few hundred pounds less, with a LOT less HP, compared to a truck that was 27 years older than that.

Then again, they haven't really got that dialed in for the NEW trucks either........

In the '69 era they didn't have all the emission control systems and requirements, burned leaded gas etc. so the comparison is not fair. I had a '78 Honda Civic that I consistently got 48 MPG on the highway. New Civics can't come close.

I often wonder if the odometer is connected in some way to the speedo. With my 315's my speed is exactly 10% lower than my GPS tracks me. Just not sure if I can make this assumption with the odometer.
Yeah, you gotta figure the odometer and speedometer were both calibrated to the stock size tire(I can't remember what that is at the moment) so with a bigger tire, you are going slightly further each time the wheel rotates. The trick is figuring out how much.

6% sounds about right but there are also conversion charts out there to see what the difference is for different sized tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom