Need Brake Advice for my Buddy's '66 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '75 FJ40 and my friend has always admired it and finally bought his own. I was trying to advise him on rebuilding the drum brakes, like I did to mine. I ordered wheel cylinders and a master from Rock Auto. His is a '66 model though, and I can't seem to find brake parts on there for his. He also needs a booster. The brake parts I find say '71 and up. Where can he find parts and is there a booster that will fit his '66 model?

A quick web search shows that CCOT carries them. Just know that they are $50 each and it requires 8 total so $400+ just for the wheel cylinders. Toyota might still have them available as well but I didn't check. Of course, it's his money so it's fun spending someone else's money anyways. Good luck.

Holy crap! I paid $15 each for my wheel cylinders on my '75. I told him to do brakes and power steering first. My uncle has two '84 Toyota parts trucks and I "borrowed" the gearbox and front axle from one to do my power steering and disc brake conversion. I figured he'd be better off rebuilding his drums than finding a cheap axle and converting to disc. Maybe discs are a cheaper option...

Hi! I’m the guy Dustin it talking about with the 66 FJ. I’m totally fine with not being stock... I just want to drive the old girl. What’s a good donor for axles, so I can have an affordable setup.

Hi! I’m the guy Dustin it talking about with the 66 FJ. I’m totally fine with not being stock... I just want to drive the old girl. What’s a good donor for axles, so I can have an affordable setup.

They don't like it when you say "FJ". It's a "40". LOL! Sorry guys, he's new on here.

What condition are the cylinders in now? Are they not rebuildable as is?

What condition are the cylinders in now? Are they not rebuildable as is?
Not sure the condition. I bought it and had it delivered to a storage place. The pedal drops to the floor though as if there was nothing. I suppose they could be rebuilt.

How much were they?

1B9A0F0E-D20E-437C-9493-813EF971C14A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom