Blew the trans today. Help? 1995 fzj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOAZtim

Car Camping round the world
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
No prior issues or signs of failure. Just spent 4 days wheeling and on the way home the revs went high right as I lost all forward power. Like the trans just disconnected from the driveline.
Tried L, 2nd, R, low range, high range, CDL, Ect Trans button, fluid level normal(maybe a bit low). Same noise in all gears and even park and neutral. Just a wirring like clicking. Odd to me that even in n and p it is doing this. Zero movement or power being put down.

All wires I checked and cleaned. Fluid looks clean and good. Could it be the engine output to the trans? Would that spin a bit causing the noise?
Noise appears to be at the front of the trans.

170k measely miles.

Posted from a tow truck on my birthday.

Doh!

IMG_20180408_163101658_HDR.jpg

Front drive flanges stripped?

Otherwise a serious problem.

Good luck, please post the resolution.

The more I think about the noise the more I think it has to be the engine output. It does sound like was some splines that rounded off would sound like .also, trans should not have any spin in park right when you start the engine. Hmmm

Thanks Summit. I like it. That noise sort of reminds me of the noise of the case in neutral. I didnt feel any difference between L and H and the lever feel felt normal so I didn't even look at the transfer case.
Also, I did do a 2wd conversion a year ago so that's one more thing a bad mechanic touched.

Not sure about it making the noise in n and p but all other symptoms match mine from two years ago - stripped transfer input shaft. See here What broke in my transfer...

I hope it is something simple and easy like drive flanges, you really don't hear of many transmissions having issues. I certainly haven't heard of any spline interfaces stripping out. Keep us updated!

I hope it is something simple and easy like drive flanges, you really don't hear of many transmissions having issues. I certainly haven't heard of any spline interfaces stripping out. Keep us updated!
I know, well, I'm pretty sure it's not drive flanges. The clicking etc is up in the trans. Plus, with a 2wd conversion I should be able to move in 4wd with CDL I think.

Tq Converter to flex plate bolts sound reasonable. That or the Tcase input shaft, but that seems a bit far back for where the audible whir is coming from. Plus, the Tcase should only whir if it's in D or some gear that would have the Trans put force through it, right? This whirs even at cranking the engine over so I think it's between Trans/Engine area.

Okay, nothing weird in the inspection plate. Bolts all look to be in place right there.
Fluid and filter screen are clean a can be.
Anyone have the service manual on how to check the valves?
30594465_10213586226148566_888883167405015040_o.jpg

Or do I just buy this kit asap?
A340E A343F Transmission Solenoid Filter Gasket Kit For Toyota Lexus Shift TCC 192840010193 | eBay

Or first I am going to try this method:
"Symptom: No movement in any gear including both forward and reverse. Problem: Again, this problem can be the result of a number of different failures. 1) Check the shift solenoid using an ohm meter. The resistance inside the solenoid should read between 20–30 ohms. If you get anything outside that reading I suggest you consider replacing the solenoid. 2) Check the control cable. It could be broken or just unhooked. 3) Check the manual valve in the transmission. The linkage going to the valve could be broken or the valve itself could be broken or stuck. 4) Check the operation of the O/D direct clutch (refer to the shop manual for instructions). If the clutch pack is burnt up it will prevent the vehicle from moving. 5) Check the O/D planetary gear unit. Make sure the gear housing, bushings, pins and gears are all in good condition. Excessively worn or broken parts inside the assembly may be the culprit."
Problems With The Toyota A343F Transmission and The Possible Culprits

Transfer case and the part time kit conversion. That's where I would be looking. Transmissions usually lose a gear or start slipping, not totally loosing everything unless you lose all the fluid. The transfer case on the other hand is the essential part to all gears, forward, reverse, park and N working.

Transfer case and the part time kit conversion. That's where I would be looking. Transmissions usually lose a gear or start slipping, not totally loosing everything unless you lose all the fluid. The transfer case on the other hand is the essential part to all gears, forward, reverse, park and N working.
Makes sense to me. The 1 is the tq lockup, Why it being stuck open would cause this makes no sense to me. I am going to throw in a new solenoid since this one isn't working, but I think the case is next up. That spool could have come loose or who knows what. If the fluid looks good it will be hard to imagine there are issues in there without any metallic indications though. (Then again, in park or neutral no power would be going to the Tcase so how would it whine) Noise is from the front of the trans.

R U Shiiting me??
Not my favorite view.
6RVfe18Ib0GYURl8E30JUvdm1GeexeMkNyepjPEijMdQYdB7S_RgApJAElAnHkbM3wmwagaOog9dqNzsEYrVpbgOtmTnz3uGydVOALVOpr7AQ_Ym4oFoQeH9jYJItA-LYZPv0bEbEi_MxeFyzoOh7bK20RJiFz75BqDw82slEq1hBPQDLqj99Rkob4tuNK8lgz2e3N4v5BBYxzq9iu1Lh00JBAO2Mb2p_9m4OaBH4279NN46QSTxk5R0hlR4HOxAxnOp00Po96abiyH-YL19BP1xid76wYGuUy4sdS1zQzB9za4W0rPZsAeXksgftuQNLNIUJdFlWh3Ng9bGDsRNeDLoACSN-WwYztCMPBU9avtTjm_dwwTqlx4U4N4I-0Cyel9RbiWnHY9-bURSHZ1uKd9hoYFZMheZU8xhvzWZ7Ggte19_H9zJudbP0i_BI3bbpF5KK4L-XmoN3QQDvxbYv_BEd_i7SLqdE1hG252mNJqkrEL7qHtYGRQ1l7LlPXlyH8BddX4FkbqCjjhgUegsiweaVDuj84yGQf48Jnx2WYuG_rhxMMpe55Ecv_rVhtqfgNYDMYa1f8Q8DM6JQWoW1_7DaArf5AMT2mFdAivl=w1230-h923-no

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
Hey-If you're going to part that truck out, I might be interested in the RTT.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom