FJ62 pricing help please!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to purchase a FJ62. I have a friend who has a 1989 with 199k miles on. I’m really struggling to find some type of medium price wise.

Here are the details

- 199k miles

- Georgia car its whole life

- Truck has been taken care of

I haven’t done a deep dive in regards to a full blown inspection. Here are some things I’ve noted.

It’s essentially 100% original. This includes the original gray paint that is faded on the hood, roof, and parts of a few quarter panels.

The paint deal is what is perplexing me. On one hand I like that it is original and you can tell exactly what you are looking at. But on the other hand it would be obviously nice to have a fully, great looking Cruiser.

There is one rust spot in the passenger door rocker.

My buddy is asking $14,000 for the cruiser. He is a dealer so I am going to need to pay a doc fee and 7% Tennessee taxes so it puts me at $15,500. This is a good friend of mine so I don’t feel comfortable haggling on the price. Especially when there is a good chance I will put 5-10k miles on the truck and turn around and sell it to him or consignment.

Here are the closest comparisons I can find.

This is the main Bring a Trailer 60/62 sales.

Land Cruiser FJ60 & FJ62

This is the current auction I am watching and what I think will give me a great idea of where I should be. Ends in 4 days. Currently at $6700

1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62

Here is one that sold last August for $17,500.

1990 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62

Pictures of the Land Cruiser I am looking at

10_F73_F48-_C4_BF-4_E53-9579-867_EE53197_A1.jpg

D6_FFF96_F-_CDCD-471_B-_B0_DF-31_C2897_F6187.jpg

0_EA32_F66-_A38_D-4_DFB-9394-5_B95168_FB3_C2.jpg

52217_CD7-1_F57-4_DD7-_ADDD-_DB96_D6_BE7156.jpg

68_B77_BC3-5655-4_D57-9605-413276_D2_D318.jpg

EE667_FC6-2_ED2-4108-9_DE5-126_D0_DBAEA81.jpg

697933_F5-_BE2_A-4460-_A716-1_DCE93_DF125_E.jpg

6_D3291_C1-_ACC1-4_FB3-85_B8-_E8767_E6075_EA.jpg

My main questions I hope you guys can help out on are

1. Do we think $14,100 is a good neighborhood?

2. Does anyone have any experience spraying either a partial or full truck? I know price ranges can vary wildly based on level of prep and quality of work

3. If I can live with the paint as is and plan on keeping it 1-2 years is it even worth painting it? Will the risk of a crappy paint job hurt me resale wise down the road? Would you all say Land Cruiser enthusiasts can appreciate a truly all original truck?

My main goal is to be able to get out what I put into this truck money wise a year or two down the road. It won’t have a lot of miles put on it and I am sure I will inevitably tinker around with it mechanically to get it in better shape. Knuckle rebuilt, shocks, etc

Last edited:
Any interior or engine pics? How does it run? Based on the limited pictures it looks like a nice unmolested original truck. Even so, I think it’s on the high-end price wise. Looks like a $10k rig to me assuming it’s mechanically sound.

Any interior or engine pics? How does it run? Based on the limited pictures it looks like a nice unmolested original truck. Even so, I think it’s on the high-end price wise. Looks like a $10k rig to me assuming it’s mechanically sound.

The interior is near immaculate. Driver’s side seat shows very little, if any wear. The dash is cracked...will say that.

Haven’t driven the truck but have been told it rides out well. He just had a mechanic run through everything. Will get the inspection report.

Once you've had a chance to drive and inspect it see if your pal will take closer to 12K.

I'd stay away from paint, to do it right will likely be time consuming and expensive. Being that you're not planning on keeping it forever you won't recoup the coin.
If you get it keep it waxed and fix any rusty spots to prevent them from spreading.

front seats have been recovered.
your buddy is a dealer? was this a trade?
hard to see in these pics or the ones in the other post but most likely the springs are flat, so replacements would be needed for a smoother ride.

I'd be more in the $7,000-8,000 range

front seats have been recovered.
your buddy is a dealer? was this a trade?
hard to see in these pics or the ones in the other post but most likely the springs are flat, so replacements would be needed for a smoother ride.

I'd be more in the $7,000-8,000 range

He sold this to a lady in Kansas 18 months ago. She put a new set of Michelin’s on it and got bored with it and called him a few weeks ago. He bought it back.

Here’s the thing - some yuppie in Nashville, Birmingham, Jackson MS, etc will probably pay 12-14k for this because they want one and have the dough.

if he's a good buddy, ask him how much he just bought it for.

Cruisers like that are running $10-14K stock here in Oregon. Supply in demand. As long as they are clean and running with no/limited surface rust they’ll continue to climb. With higher mileage vehicles expect maintenance. Many people buy these cruisers for the cool factor of an older rig that’s up kept failing to understand the stock motors are gutless and get poor mpg. The cool factor is quickly felt in the wallet. As long as you understand this and prepared to learn about your cruiser and turn wrenches you’ll be fine. Good luck and really think it all through. I bought mine knowing I love the FJ60 but didn’t care for the gutless motor and knew one day I’d convert to diesel. I finally came to that point of affording the conversion and finding a runnable motor.

At 200k miles it will need a round of maintenance on it probably. As mentioned flat springs are a possibility; your best option there is complete lift kit as it has everything.

Maintenance to think about:
Valve adjustment
Knuckle rebuild
Steering components
4 wheel brake job and seals
General tune up
New hoses top to bottom

I wouldn’t mess with the paint. Add a new dash cover. Expect to have over 20k in it said and done. Maybe values will increase over the next 10 years, maybe they will stay flat?

The way the market is he’s asking a lot but will get north of 12k for it I bet. I’d probably start there and see how things go. A lot of people here will want to tell you about the ‘deal’ they got, but if you are buying from a dealer, expect to pay the going rate.

My main goal is to be able to get out what I put into this truck money wise a year or two down the road. It won’t have a lot of miles put on it and I am sure I will inevitably tinker around with it mechanically to get it in better shape. Knuckle rebuilt, shocks, etc

Knuckles look like they'e been rebuilt. My advice is to put very little to nothing into it if your plan is to flip in a couple years. Deal with the rusty spot and drive it. Price seems high to me, though I don't follow them. I did help a fellow Mudder find one in similar condition three or four years ago, out of Moscow, Idaho. Probably not kept up quite so well mechanically as yours, I don't really know. Anyway, same fading color, no rust except a small, treated area at the common spot under rear window wiper. $4K.

The way the market is he’s asking a lot but will get north of 12k for it I bet. I’d probably start there and see how things go. A lot of people here will want to tell you about the ‘deal’ they got, but if you are buying from a dealer, expect to pay the going rate.

Well you have to remember that no one has ever got a bad car deal ;) haha

Hi, I think 12 would be fair for both, If..the transmission and a.c. Are fine. Mike

I'm at ~10K. A quality paint job (assuming no bodywork) could be 3-6K. A crappy Maaco job will only detract. You won't make a dime at his price, if you are going to flip it. If you love it, buy it - if not, find a better price/value/appearance truck. You might drive it, and one other, and see which one seems tighter. It could be a standout rig, hiding under worn paint.

NEVER buy a Land Cruiser and think you're going to make money or that it's an investment. You do much of that, you'll die a poor man. If you're already thinking this is expensive, stay away unless you just love old Land Cruisers. They all require lots of expensive work/parts to keep on the road. Just the nature of it.

Now, the truck you're looking at, looks good. A great starting point for a long term relationship. Friend or not, your buddy is a dealer and they cannot resist squeezing every nickel out of you. It's in their blood. Found out what he has in it, and offer $500 more. And if he sells it to someone else, he probably did you a favor.

I kinda agree with Cruiserdrew above. On the flip side though if the Cruiser is legit and key maintenance done it is worth a premium. Add in that the dealer needs to make money for putting the deal together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom