Need help comparing a few tires - KO2,Toyo M/T, and a few others. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finishing up some title/payment logistics and will hopefully have an 96' 80 series in my future (Thanks 4Runnerd!). Looking into a new set of tires for the rig is on the todo list so I thought I'd ask what is your opinions on a few of these. Mainly looking at a 255/85 r16 for the tall and skinny route. Through some searching I've found the tires listed below.
Toyo Open Country M/T
BFG KM2s
Cooper ST Maxx
Maxxis Mt-762 Bighorns
as well if I sell the tires/stock rims on the car and snag 15" steelys I can shoot for a 33/10.5 r15 tire in the BFG K02

So, what im asking is which of these tires do you guys think (or know) will give the best overall mix of longevity, snow/ice performance, and offroad grip? Ride comfort and noise aren't too bothersome to me so don't shy away from an option because of those. As well, if you guys have any other suggestions please let me hear. Thanks!

Finishing up some title/payment logistics and will hopefully have an 96' 80 series in my future (Thanks 4Runnerd!). Looking into a new set of tires for the rig is on the todo list so I thought I'd ask what is your opinions on a few of these. Mainly looking at a 255/85 r16 for the tall and skinny route. Through some searching I've found the tires listed below.
Toyo Open Country M/T
BFG KM2s
Cooper ST Maxx
Maxxis Mt-762 Bighorns
as well if I sell the tires/stock rims on the car and snag 15" steelys I can shoot for a 33/10.5 r15 tire in the BFG K02

So, what im asking is which of these tires do you guys think (or know) will give the best overall mix of longevity, snow/ice performance, and offroad grip? Ride comfort and noise aren't too bothersome to me so don't shy away from an option because of those. As well, if you guys have any other suggestions please let me hear. Thanks!

- BFG KM2s

- snag 15" steelys I can shoot for a 33/10.5 r15 tire in the BFG K02

I vote for the BFG's.

From my experience, the Toyos chunk up way too fast so they're out for me.

I vote for the BFG's.

From my experience, the Toyos chunk up way too fast so they're out for me.

I needed to hear something like that haha. Toyos have been in the lead for me out of this list so I kept wondering if the extra money per tire was really worth it. Which of the bfgs do you think would be the better option for daily driving, a little exploring, and some winter trips up into the mountains?

- BFG KM2s

- snag 15" steelys I can shoot for a 33/10.5 r15 tire in the BFG K02
Thanks for the insight! In your opinion, which do you think will do better on snow and ice? It gets pretty crazy sometimes up in the mountains so if I'm ski bumming somewhere I don't want to get stuck!

I needed to hear something like that haha. Toyos have been in the lead for me out of this list so I kept wondering if the extra money per tire was really worth it. Which of the bfgs do you think would be the better option for daily driving, a little exploring, and some winter trips up into the mountains?

Thanks for the insight! In your opinion, which do you think will do better on snow and ice? It gets pretty crazy sometimes up in the mountains so if I'm ski bumming somewhere I don't want to get stuck!

I happen to like the BFG A/T KO's. I put 40,000 miles on a set and sold them for about half of what I paid for them as they were in great condition with another 20,000 miles of life on them. They are also 3 ply sidewall.

I had a new set of Toyo MT's mounted on my old truck in Denver and drove it back to South Florida. By the time I made that trek they had chunked up pretty bad (losing pieces of the lugs on the tire). I switched them out for Hankook Dyna Pro but they weren't reliable either. I have heard some good things about the Coopers but have no experience with them.

Can you run 15's on an 80. I think youll have issues with the fronts

I love my TOYO's. Zero problems with them "chunking up". Granted Im running 315's and not the tall skinny's. Mine have made multiple trips to colorado and many miles of trials there. Also 10 days in Big Bend and countless trips into arkansas and multiple runs to off-road parks with hard use. Have about 30k on them and they are getting thin but no issues with losing chunks of tread.

That being said, i feel they, and most mt's, are not the greatest on snow. From your description of a little exploring and trips in the snow/ice plus your desire for high mileage i would recommend a AT and not an MT. Not a big fan of the amount of balance a BFG AT takes but the tread pattern would probably work nicely for you. I feel that its weakest attribute would be mud traction. Pretty good in rocks and snow and ice.

I love my TOYO's. Zero problems with them "chunking up". Granted Im running 315's and not the tall skinny's. Mine have made multiple trips to colorado and many miles of trials there. Also 10 days in Big Bend and countless trips into arkansas and multiple runs to off-road parks with hard use. Have about 30k on them and they are getting thin but no issues with losing chunks of tread.

That being said, i feel they, and most mt's, are not the greatest on snow. From your description of a little exploring and trips in the snow/ice plus your desire for high mileage i would recommend a AT and not an MT. Not a big fan of the amount of balance a BFG AT takes but the tread pattern would probably work nicely for you. I feel that its weakest attribute would be mud traction. Pretty good in rocks and snow and ice.

Very well put.

Another that I don't like are the Nitto MT's.

Yeah, after reading some comments on here and doing a bit more research I think the M/Ts are going off the table. As well, you said 15's wont fit on an 80, would that be because brake caliper is too large? And are there any other tires like the KO2 you'd recommend?

I don't have a lot of AT experience and i have never researched into the tall skinnys. Between myself and a few friends we have run BFGs on a fjc, 100, tacoma, and tundra. All of them needed lots of weights to balance and only the tundra ever really did. On my FJC we tried multiple time and finally had to do what they call a force balance to get them to work out. I loved the traction and the way they look and road. Seems to me like all the other AT's are less aggressive and don't really have a good look. I personally run the Toyo AT's on my tundra and love them for on road. Got 80k on the first set with decent amount of trailer pulling.

Anyone ride on General Grabber AT2s? Looking at the 295/75r16s. Only reason why I ask is because they're about 250 cheaper than KO2s and i've heard that they're pretty similar; judging by the tread patterns, I'd say they were at least.

KM3's will be coming out soon...

I've been a fan of BFG's for many years, I've been running the KO & KO2's for ever, it seems like... The only complaint I have with the KO2's is they pick up gravel and usually fling it out around 55+mph

15's won't fit, but 17s will which can open up more choices. I'd stick with the 16s. I love the BFG ATs. Hard to wear them out, but they don't come in 255/85R16.

I have a set of the Coopers on order which should be here today.

As well, you said 15's wont fit on an 80, would that be because brake caliper is too large?

that is correct, the 91-92 had the 15 inch rins and 93+ got the 16 inch and larger calipers. you could make the 15 wirk but you would have to shave down the caliper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom