OME Spring Bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a set of OME Dakar mediums for the front and rear of my 73 FJ40. I was slightly taken aback by the $25/spring price tag for the bushings. Best I can tell, the spring eyes take a 35mm x 15mm bushing and the fixed eyes take the standard 25mm x 15mm bushing. This led me to the SOR site that tells me I can use their 289-40-X for the large bushings and 289-40-S for the standard ones. They are poly, just not splined like the OME bushings.

The SOR bushings are about 1/2 the cost of the OME ones. Does anyone have experience using the SOR bushings above to install the OME springs in a early 40 like this? How do the SOR bushings hold up in general? Thanks for the info.

I've used them, they seem to work well enough.
I don't quite understand the difference in bushing size as it relates to the fixed and non fixed ends. They should be the same size.

ah...
Unless you've got late model shackles on one end.

The OME springs all have the 35mm ends. They just sell you different bushings to match the shackle bolts. The pre 80 fj40 fixed points take 25mm bushings. The pre 80 stock springs had 25mm bushings also.

I purchased a set of OME Dakar mediums for the front and rear of my 73 FJ40. I was slightly taken aback by the $25/spring price tag for the bushings. Best I can tell, the spring eyes take a 35mm x 15mm bushing and the fixed eyes take the standard 25mm x 15mm bushing. This led me to the SOR site that tells me I can use their 289-40-X for the large bushings and 289-40-S for the standard ones. They are poly, just not splined like the OME bushings.

The SOR bushings are about 1/2 the cost of the OME ones. Does anyone have experience using the SOR bushings above to install the OME springs in a early 40 like this? How do the SOR bushings hold up in general? Thanks for the info.

I put an OME kit on my '76 5 or so years ago that I got from TPI and I'm pretty sure all of the bushings were the same size, inside and outside diameters. The kit included greaseable shackles but I don't recall if they were OME or TPI. I wouldn't hesitate to use SOR's ig you have to buy new ones.

Just received a full set from Kurt. IIRC all are 35mm OD’s but the early years are 15mm ID’s and the late years are 18mm. The 35mm fits the inside dimension of the shackle end of the spring. Each package contains one set of smaller OD bushings for the hanger and pin end of the spring.

I looked for rubber bushings as an alternative but had a tough time finding the right dimensions so I bit the bullet for the OMEs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom