transmission won't go into reverse: alternatives to rebuild/replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just had the engine replaced on my '88 fj62. ran home the other morning to grab it , so i could drop it off to have the muffler connected. started backing up my steep driveway and it just decided not to go any further. no loud noises, no abrupt jerking, it just gradually refused to back up the hill. shifted into neutral and coasted back down. it's an automatic, and all the forward gears work perfectly. shifter clicks into place as usual, just not engaging. pushed it into a parking space that faces the hill. fluid was near the low end but not out. added some lucas stop slip. still nothing, and have tried it a few times since.

this is an extra vehicle/long term project, and at this point, the expense of a rebuild or replace is just not gonna happen. in other words, once i get the muffler connected, i'm perfectly willing to find a parking space at lowe's or home depot or walmart or wherever, that doesn't require me to back out.

looking for the creative minds here to give me some alternatives. maybe it's some sort of connection between the shifter and the tranny. i have no clue, that's why i'm here.

an anecdote about how yours was fixed without a rebuild or replace is a definite bonus. thanks in advance.

I would not add any more 'rebuild in a bottle', but I would get it fully hot (important) and check the fluid level carefully before writing it off. Read up an all the transmission threads here in the 60 forum, if you have not. I don't recall too many cases where all the forward gears worked fine, but reverse did not, but who knows.

Hi, Any looseness in the shift handle ? Are you sure oil level is right ? Cable slack right ? Check oil hot with cruiser running . Mike

Very easy repair

that's excellent...

growing up, we had a 'yard king' riding mower. it didn't have a tranny, just one front wheel that turned 360 degrees. so if i can just figure out a way to get my front wheels to go 360...

update: added ATF while hot, tried again, no luck. got underneath and had my son shift the gears. saw nothing that appeared to be broken.

if there's something underneath to remove and look at, by all means, let me know.

thanks.

HI, When's the last time you pulled the pan and cleaned the filter? Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom