1993 TLC window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my window is starting to roll up slower and slower. Curious if this is a window motor issue or could it be something else? Anyway to diagnose before purchasing a part? Thanks

Best fix I have done was replacing the gasket in the window track and the felt wipers on both sides. Clean an lube the tracks while you have it all out and should work like new again.
This. More expensive than a motor, but very likely is your problem. Has been for all three of mine.

I have had really good luck just cleaning out the window runs and spraying silicone spray into them. I may order new runs at some point but over all the rubber on my truck has held up well as I live in a cool climate and they work a lot better now than they did when I bought the truck.

I have had really good luck just cleaning out the window runs and spraying silicone spray into them. I may order new runs at some point but over all the rubber on my truck has held up well as I live in a cool climate and they work a lot better now than they did when I bought the truck.

Is it “safe” to pull the existing runs, and clean for re-install? Or do you think they would break apart? Mine look solid, but I’ve tried spraying them with the dry silicone w/o much improvement. Thanks!

Is it “safe” to pull the existing runs, and clean for re-install? Or do you think they would break apart? Mine look solid, but I’ve tried spraying them with the dry silicone w/o much improvement. Thanks!

I didn't pull mine out all the way. I just cleaned them in place.

This guy yanks his out though without wrecking them and you can see by the condition of his paint that he lives in a really hot and dry area which normally is hard on rubber.

He doesn't show putting them back in though, which I think will be the real challenge. Silicone would probably help with that too though.

I can tell you that the my rear window run channel seals are so hardened that they're breaking apart at the bottom. I seriously doubt I could pull mine without them practically shattering.

I have replacements coming from Amayama. Even with overseas shipping, they're still cheaper than a US supplier.

Someone recently posted about how the run channel seal has a sort of velvety finish on it. That wears off, leaving smooth rubber that is much higher friction. I greased mine with silicone and it helped, but only a little. I'm tired of slow rear windows, and it causes the window to pop out of the friction-fit thing that connects it to the regulator, so I bit the bullet and ordered new seals.

You need to look at the lower ends before you pull them, but it can be done. The school solution is to coat them with soapy water when installing them.

Appreciate the feedback..... the “velvety” stuff on mine is gone as well, and I can definetly see rubber creating more friction, so I guess I’m off in search of replacements! Thanks again!

Just went through this.

For mine it ended up being the felt seal on the inside of the window. It was hard and brittle and put significant pressure on the window glass when the door card was installed. Even after replacing the rubber runs, lubricating the window mechanism, and cleaning the switch contacts - the window still crawled or stopped.

The window felt has two "layers". I ended up slicing off one of the layers and while I had the door card off. Window rolls up and down perfectly now. Perhaps one day I'll get around to actually replacing the window felt.

I tried cleaning the rubber runs and felts first. It helped some but after I replaced them it was night and day. Tried the silicon lube and all the other fixes. Nothing worked like new parts. Downside is your looking at around $150 per door to replace them. Upside is you only have to do this once every 20 years or so :)

Akella does all four doors for $225 shipped unless were talking about different parts

[CA-ON] 80 Front window runs $120 shipped for both sides

I have replacements coming from Amayama. Even with overseas shipping, they're still cheaper than a US supplier.

What is total cost to source from overseas if you don't mind me asking? Same parts as sourced above? Need to tackle this soon as cleaning up and silicone had marginal effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom