Hard Door question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow LCer's,

I have what I believe is 1975 LC Hard doors. I have a 72 LC Mnf in 10/71. I tried fitting them and the doors did not fit, the latch would not line up. I can manipulate a bit and eventually get them to almost fit.

Before Knocking myself out, is there a cut-off between 74 and 75 on hard door fitment? SOR and others seem to say yes, but trust my brothers to give me the right answer.

Here is an inside shot of the door cards (after cleaning) which are in line with 75'. Thanks

Boaf

PS: By the way, everyone is aware of the struggles I've had with this project. I am wicked happy to report that it is getting insurance and ready for the road. Backed it out of the shed after 12 inches of snow. Got stuck in reverse in the snow. Got out, locked the hubs, transfer case and WHOLLY SHEIT!!! It just pulled out like it had a hemorrhoid loaded with vodka. It just MOVED. Awesome stuff!

20150902_153528_resized.jpg

I’ve ran 78 doors on my 71 and they fit, however the latch is not the same. You will need to mount the door hooks on a piece of square tubing or angle iron. I’ll take a pic later if you want to see what I did, as even my half doors use the same latch set up.

I’ve ran 78 doors on my 71 and they fit, however the latch is not the same. You will need to mount the door hooks on a piece of square tubing or angle iron. I’ll take a pic later if you want to see what I did, as even my half doors use the same latch set up.

Now that is what I thought as well. The front pinches, I definitely like the hard door look and especially in the winter! Looking forward to seeing what you've done. Thanks!!!

Boaf

yes 12-74
irrc i have a set 71 doors hanging in the shop.

Brian, can you PM me pictures of the doors? Are they in good shape? I am interested.

Boaf

Now that is what I thought as well. The front pinches, I definitely like the hard door look and especially in the winter! Looking forward to seeing what you've done. Thanks!!!

Boaf

I installed 79 on my 68 thirty-five years ago. Did because the one piece design rattle less. If your front edge is pitching try loosening the hinges on the top and move them out. Only issue I had was the gas tank was a close fit. With the redesign on the 73 model the gas tank got smaller. With the larger tank in my 68 I had to loosen the hold down straps and adjust the tank towards the center as far as it would go. Lost the vent window but Northern Arizona has a lot of washboard roads and upper section of the doors would rattle like crazy. If you inspect the early door where the post between the vent window and roll up window is not uncommon to see stress cracks. Later doors with the center window are still one piece and would probably hold up better. Some day will locate a set of those.

I installed 79 on my 68 thirty-five years ago. Did because the one piece design rattle less. If your front edge is pitching try loosening the hinges on the top and move them out. Only issue I had was the gas tank was a close fit. With the redesign on the 73 model the gas tank got smaller. With the larger tank in my 68 I had to loosen the hold down straps and adjust the tank towards the center as far as it would go. Lost the vent window but Northern Arizona has a lot of washboard roads and upper section of the doors would rattle like crazy. If you inspect the early door where the post between the vent window and roll up window is not uncommon to see stress cracks. Later doors with the center window are still one piece and would probably hold up better. Some day will locate a set of those.
Thanks "LITP" (Jethro Tull, yes?)

Thanks "LITP" (Jethro Tull, yes?)

50DCF4B3-CB7A-4559-9A41-E435DB635E75.jpeg
6CA64CD0-68EE-41B7-915B-E30CB864FDF5.jpeg
E2C8C23A-E526-4580-9EFA-F27AFCB78417.jpeg
I used a couple spacers under my windshield to move the top of it forward a bit to fit hard my doors,then they fit fine. The pics are how I added the door latches to early style tub. I sold the full hard doors and use my original soft top doors or my half doors. The later doors weigh a ton.

View attachment 1667823 View attachment 1667824 View attachment 1667826 I used a couple spacers under my windshield to move the top of it forward a bit to fit hard my doors,then they fit fine. The pics are how I added the door latches to early style tub. I sold the full hard doors and use my original soft top doors or my half doors. The later doors weigh a ton.

Thanks for these. Doors are my next project. Currently have soft doors. I'll try the spacers, will need to loosen my brand new top because it is tight, for now...

Boaf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom