2LTE intercooler options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious about putting some sort of intercooler system in my 1991 LJ78. Picked it up about two months ago. It's in really nice shape, only has 203 on the clock and zero issues with the engine. I'm really ambitious to put a new turbo in it, but understand that doing so without the proper upgrades first will rip the engine to shreds. Any advice????
Thanks

P.S. if somebody could let me know where I can find a front bumper for it as well somewhere in western canada, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
I think that the consensus is that unless you are looking to go absolutely crazy, the factory turbo has plenty of juice for this motor. An intercooler on the other hand is a fantastic idea. It allows you to keep temps down and turn up the boost even more. You need to figure out where you want to mount the intercooler before people can give you proper suggestions really.

Start here:
Ideas for improving the 2LTE
1993 LJ79 from Malta
A not so informative LJ78 'build' thread

Couple of different intercooler setups there. I am sure a couple of the other LJ guys can come up with some other threads. Air/Water is easier to plumb up, but a couple of people have an Air/Air setup. So, it's doable. Just takes some creative plumbing.

First bit of advice. Get an EGT and proper water temp gauge on the truck and learn to drive with it. That engine will generate some pretty scary EGT's very quickly, which leads to them running hotter than they should and popping the head. You can control the temps if you are aware of them, but an intercooler is the best way to keep it cool.

Tons of great pictures and ideas for air/water and air/air intercoolers here: Opinions on this water to air intercooler for LJ78 / 2LTE?

A new turbo won't rip the engine to shreds at all. More air (to a point) makes them run cooler and safer actually. But as said above, the factory CT20A is actually a pretty decent little turbo on these motors. Your injection pump will max out (fuel) before the turbo maxes out (air). I've found the CT20A will hold 18psi through to the top of the usable power band (3800rpm or so). So it definitely flows enough. What you could gain with a more modern turbo is faster spool and better efficiency.

Starting with an intercooler and some other common cooling upgrades is a great idea though. Just don't do a 'top mount' intercooler type, as it'll be more of an interheater than an intercooler. You should also consider removing the emissions equipment.

Lots of ideas out there now. Just search and read through these forums. A few of the guys have done some nice build threads and documented the steps in making their LJ78's great rigs.

Thank you guys so much, I wasn't really sure about the capabilities of the stock turbo (hence why i was curious about upgrading) so I'm really glad I came here and gained some knowledge. I'll check out those threads on different 2LTE builds and see if I can make my dreams come true.

Cheers.

I just ordered my air/water intercooler and heat exchanger. They should arrive this coming week and I can begin the process of mounting them before starting on the plumbing. I bought this intercooler because it's nice and compact and has a 2.5 inch inlet, which is the same as the output of the turbo.
s-l500.jpg

My heat exchanger is about 24 inches wide and 6 inches tall and will be mounted on the frame rail just in front of the radiator. I think I'll have a professional do the piping to and from the intercooler.

Hey guys I just wanted to add some photos and if anyone’s thinking about doing an intercooler to a 91 Toyota surf might help. Had to move a lot of stuff around to make it work. ( kept the ac because the gf said she woudnt get in this summer if it didn’t)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom