Let there be Light.......... there was Light! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day Fella's,

Rarely am I one of the first to run out and go with new technology, and it's the same with LED lighting.......
But recently, I felt it was time to make a move on this, and purchase and mount a LED light bar (iirc, 162 Watt and 13.5 Amp) on the Battle Cruiser.
It wasn't that simple, as I couldn't have just any light bracket for this light bar, i had to "Do It My Way".

So.........

Here is the 24" light bar and the slab of 50mm thick Aluminium, for the mounting brackets.
DSCN2293.JPG

The same slab but in two pieces now and in the lathe, being bored out to 48mm DIA.
DSCN2454.JPG

Ditto
DSCN2455.JPG

Ditto
DSCN2456.JPG

On the Mill, being squared up.
DSCN2459.JPG

Last edited:
G'Day again......

One down, one to go.
DSCN2460.JPG

Radius all the external corners.
DSCN2463.JPG

Thats all finished.
DSCN2464.JPG

Slitting saw cuts.
DSCN2465.JPG

Bolt holes at one end.
DSCN2468.JPG

The bolt holes and counter bores, at the other end.
DSCN2469.JPG

After taping all the bolt holes and the bead blasting the brackets, it was time to bolt things together.
DSCN2471.JPG

DSCN2470.JPG

DSCN2472.JPG

So with all the bits bolted in place, last night I took the Battle Cruiser to the car park of a sporting field, and adjusted the light bar.
After this, I took it for a run to the rural area (10 minutes from home), and WOW!
Why haven't I had one of these, like YEARS Ago?

Let me say, There Was Light and Homer is a Happy Lad!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Last edited:
Hmm, I went a different way and I prefer the rather stealth look versus something sitting above the roobar which makes it even harder to lean over to check things.

erica.jpg

6 XML-2 at nominal 1200 lumens per LED, so a bit over 7000 lumen per housing. A wall of light, doesn't block the radiator and lights look quite 'harmless' when not fired up. About 5A draw each, drivers run about 95% efficient and low EMI (I should know - I designed them :) ).

I haven't bothered to hook up the dimmer, but that would be easy to do, maybe I'll do that eventually, might be handy to be able to have light without having too much - and yes, sometimes too much can be blinding.

cheers,
george.

George, whats lights do you have there and where to purchase?

Heads up: They are pricey... intended for motorbikes where lighting can be life-enhancing/extending... I guess if there was interest I could look to arrange a group buy, but they do cost a pretty penny, but you do get made in the USA by a small company that stands behind their product 100% and beyond the warranty period.

Clearwater Lights LED Motorcycle Lights

The lights I have on the front of the 80 are the 'Erica' model. I designed most of the drivers in their lighting products.

cheers,
george.

Hmm, I went a different way and I prefer the rather stealth look versus something sitting above the roobar which makes it even harder to lean over to check things.

erica.jpg

6 XML-2 at nominal 1200 lumens per LED, so a bit over 7000 lumen per housing. A wall of light, doesn't block the radiator and lights look quite 'harmless' when not fired up. About 5A draw each, drivers run about 95% efficient and low EMI (I should know - I designed them :) ).

I haven't bothered to hook up the dimmer, but that would be easy to do, maybe I'll do that eventually, might be handy to be able to have light without having too much - and yes, sometimes too much can be blinding.

cheers,
george.
@george_tlc Are the Erica lights dimmable?

^ Yes

cheers,
george.

^ You would want to use the clearwater dimmer since it is designed to work with their various lights (including the erica). The dimmer utilises an optical coupler in the driver to ensure no interactions of grounds and other 'weird' stuff within the vehicle. The dimmer is also designed to control the lights in their working dimming range etc.

cheers,
george.

^ You would want to use the clearwater dimmer since it is designed to work with their various lights (including the erica). The dimmer utilises an optical coupler in the driver to ensure no interactions of grounds and other 'weird' stuff within the vehicle. The dimmer is also designed to control the lights in their working dimming range etc.

cheers,
george.
Gotcha, good to know. Thanks for the info!

cheers,
george.
I don't see a dimmer listed on the Clearwater site. Do you have a P/N to refer to?

I'll have to ask them if the dimmer comes with the light or ?

If you are seriously interested, I'll see about getting some kind of discount/code etc for you.

cheers,
george.

I'll have to ask them if the dimmer comes with the light or ?

If you are seriously interested, I'll see about getting some kind of discount/code etc for you.

cheers,
george.
I'll definitely take you up on the discount offer when I'm ready, thank you. Just saw it today and it's getting the gears turning on how to get there. I'm only looking at this point because I'm currently pursuing a fridge/drawer project.

cheers,
george.

Can I suggest to you George, that if you want to spruik your own products, start your own thread, etc, and don't hi-jack somebody else's?

Double D'oh!!
Homer

Can I suggest to you George, that if you want to spruik your own products, start your own thread, etc, and don't hi-jack somebody else's?

Double D'oh!!
Homer
Sorry, that was me. My bad. :oops:

^ It's not my product and I was NOT pushing it. My initial post was to show a more compact solution and what I am using. I did not post to 'sell' 'my' product. I was asked a question and responded with what I'm specifically using and suggested I can likely arrange a discount for anyone interested.

I do NOT work for Clearwater. I happened to design the drivers as a consultant I do like the company and how it supports its product line and in general the biking community.

Please re-read my first post.

Regardless, nice machine work, but I am not a lover of light bars hanging on top of roobars since they just become more stuff to have to get over to access the engine bay. Also just look ugly imho.

Anyhow,
cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom