Asking for advice regarding purchase of a second vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at various threads for advice for a while and am ready to make a decision. Looking for help to make a good one.

Where to start? I live on the Oregon Coast and currently drive an F150 that I'm tired of trashing during hunting season. For reference I am 6'4" and 195#'s if size is an issue.

I have been researching via the internet for about a month and have come to the conclusion that I would like a series 80, 100 or a GX470. Oddly I'm finding used series 100's with more miles than series 80's. Should I conclude that a series 100 is more comfortable as a daily driver?

Most of the Lexus models I see run at a 10-20% premium to the Toyota counterpart. For my intended use is there any reason to consider a Lexus?

My intention is to install a 3" lift. Is there any reason not to buy someone's vehicle with a lift already installed?

I'm seeing older vehicles with nonfunctioning windows/sunroofs. Are these easily fixed or is this a time consuming and expensive process?

What else am I missing? I have read from a aftermarket sight called Slee a fairly comprehensive list of potential problems to look for. Can anyone help me prioritize that list?

Thanks in advance

Lexus LX470 vs Toyota 100 Series: Suspension is one of the key difference (and headlights, grill, interior finishing). If you plan to replace the suspension, the Toyota might be a slightly cheaper option, since you won't need new torsion bars...unless you want them. With the LX470, and new suspension, you will need new torsion bars for sure. A 3" lift will require a diff drop (due to IFS)...maybe upper control arms as well.

Windows/sunroofs: 100's seem to have issues with leaks around the sunroof. I've been lucky, but search the forum and see what you can learn about repairs and problems.

Issues: lots of good info from Slee...and on this forum. Heater T's are a cheap maintenance item, and rather important to change for high mileage vehicles. Obviously check for rust on the undercarriage. If buying an LX40, check the AHC suspension system function from high to low mode. Count the graduations on the AHC reservoir: 7 or less means it will need the "globes" changed. The AHC might not be important for you with a lift in sight, but it could be a negotiating point, if the system is shot.

Lexus LX470 vs Toyota 100 Series: Suspension is one of the key difference (and headlights, grill, interior finishing). If you plan to replace the suspension, the Toyota might be a slightly cheaper option, since you won't need new torsion bars...unless you want them. With the LX470, and new suspension, you will need new torsion bars for sure. A 3" lift will require a diff drop (due to IFS)...maybe upper control arms as well.

Windows/sunroofs: 100's seem to have issues with leaks around the sunroof. I've been lucky, but search the forum and see what you can learn about repairs and problems.

Issues: lots of good info from Slee...and on this forum. Heater T's are a cheap maintenance item, and rather important to change for high mileage vehicles. Obviously check for rust on the undercarriage. If buying an LX40, check the AHC suspension system function from high to low mode. Count the graduations on the AHC reservoir: 7 or less means it will need the "globes" changed. The AHC might not be important for you with a lift in sight, but it could be a negotiating point, if the system is shot.

That is amazingly helpful and thanks for reminding me of the obvious service items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom