FJ40 lift opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40bugcatcher.dyndns.org
I still haven't bought a lift kit for my 1962 FJ40, but have a couple ones in mind. Just looking for some input from anyone. I've seen kits from $800 to $1300 and I'm still baffled on the diffrence. Seems I fan find kits from ProComp, OME, Rough Country, HFS. What would you all suggest?

I bought Pro Comp for 1/2 the price of OME.

OME springs will only provide a 2.5” lift if I can remember. Some kits use an extended shackle to get their claimed lift. I have tried a couple lifts over the years and you are wise to do some research first. IMO I would stay away from a spring pack that is banded together tightly as the springs cannot move independently and you will get a very harsh ride. I remember being told that the painted and bound together spring pack just needs to get broken in, that never happened and I tossed those springs and super long shackles in a dumpster. Oh they had military wrapped ends, another bad idea for ride quality IMO. I’m now using Skyjacker’s smooth quiet ride springs with 4”lift and 1” extended shackles. The added shackle length is needed for the extra travel. I got the 4” lift and perhaps a little more with these springs and clear my 33/12.50 tires in extreme conditions with no rubbing anywhere. I think OME springs use an open spring clamp like Skyjackers but others mentioned don’t. The Skyjackers also have replaceable pads between springs and are only about 150 each if you shop around. They also take regular Toyota bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom