Catastrophic oil loss (1982 FJ60 2F) (1 Viewer)

What will be the fate of the winter cruiser?

• Easy fix, not a big deal, rebuild top end.

• Totally screwed, engine is toast, full rebuild or replace with 2F

• Too rusty, not worth the repair, part it out and work on another LC

Results are only viewable after voting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SEAWOLF

GOLD Star
Threads
I was driving home from dinner and I noticed my speed dropped rather quickly, about 5mph. I was on the highway, going about 65-70 @ 2,700-3000k RPMs. Was it the wind? A slight hill? No. I then began to hear a noise...I thought it might be my exhaust...I noticed some small holes forming where the header meets the down pipe, on the old rusted welds. I thought, since it was getting sort of loud, that it might be ‘letting go’.

Keep in mind this all happened in seconds.

The noise, which sounded more like high revving now, began to get louder. I noticed some vibration in the drivetrain. I was about 500 feet from an exit. As I began to exit, the noise went from troublesome, to a full on racket. It sounded like I lost a belt...as if it were somehow attached to a pulley still and slapping around inside the engine compartment. As I took the off ramp, the engine shut off, and I coasted to a stop on the off ramp shoulder. I tried to turn the key just once to see if I was dreaming...without the road noise it sounded like I forgot a screwdriver under the valve cover.

When I opened the door I could smell the oil. I looked underneath and it was pretty well coated, from the back of the oil pan to the rear axle. When I put the flashlight up to the pan, where the plug is, I could see oil surging out from above. I immediately was under the impression that the real main seal or the galley plug had failed. I’m guessing that a loss of pressure at high speed is just about the worst thing you can do to a 2F?

Fast forward, AAA is loading my 60 on the flatbed. As the ramp angles up to about 45 degrees, there is another oil dump as it begins to piss from above the rear section of the pan. Lost at least a quart inside 2 minutes, but the flow stopped once the ramp leveled out. I’ve never been in this situation before, I know it’s super annoying to try and diagnose what happened from a distance, but I’d like to know what I’m up against before I make my next move.

D7BD2507-E136-4D24-AF9B-CA66D22AD5CD.jpeg
7557533F-52BC-4ABA-8EDA-08AF877BFB07.jpeg
97E0EA9F-5B93-410D-9FB3-14337D3E3828.jpeg
0313C104-CC45-49DF-B9CF-DCDFE33F2716.jpeg

do a search for "oil galley plug" in this forum. There is a press-fit plug between a couple of spark plugs that plugs an oil pathway. This can fail (fall out) and cause a huge oil leak. There are threads about how to replace this press fit plug with a threaded plug.

i have an '83 and had a major oil loss but luckily it was idling in my garage and I walked out to catch it. Truck was very new to me and the situation led me to learn all about the oil galley plug, which may be the source. I have since had that fixed, but my loss was due to a welch plug in the front of the engine. If you look at your engine bay and it is crazy covered in oil, take a look at the front of your block behind the fan. In older blocks, I think before '84, they had a plug that was also press fit in the front of the block called a welch plug that can give way and you will lose oil very fast. Thread on that situation below....

Oil Galley Plug??? '83FJ60

Another vote for the oil galley plug in the head. Item #11118A in this diagram. Loss of oil pressure at hiway speed most often wrecks a 2F.
head.jpg

If it's any consolation, you just lived all of our nightmares. Statistically this had to happen to somebody and we're all grateful it didn't happen to us. Kinda like musical chairs - someone has to get burned. Statistical inevitability. Major bummer. So sorry.

If you're curious as to what happened, tear the engine down. But my wager is that the engine is now toast & beyond repair.. at least economically wise. You'll find out when its disassembled if its rebuildable. Or just throw in the towel while you're ahead and start looking for a good used one.

That "shrapnel wound" in the oil pan was caused by an impact from inside. The engine is toast.

Oh my. Oil pan sprouted a hole. Gee, I wonder how that happened? :(

Winter beater gets beaten.

WOW, that sucks. Whatever it is came out with some force...I am sure parts of it are still in the oil pan. Keep us updated.

I believe the gash in the pan is the aftermath. Prior to this you lost oil pressure or had an oil starvation issue. A connecting rod broke as a result and punched the pan.

I’d try to buy a used 2f from someone doing a v8 swap. Don’t even waste time trying to rebuild it.

No bueno

Thanks to everyone for the response, I will pull the pan and update soon.

Very unfortunate...I was planning on cleaning it up and selling...at this point it might be worth more as parts- it has considerable rust.

I will put up a wanted post in the engine classified section, see what comes of it. Unfortunately don’t have the time or space to perform the swap myself. I’m sure it was approaching 275k miles at the very least. I just filled the tank and checked the oil which makes it even more annoying.

@FJACS I feel you hit the nail on the head...or coffin.

The pix in post #5 are not loading ...

But from the others descriptions, sounds like it's time, unless you can find a cheap replacement 2F

Pull the pan. If it’s just one cylinder dump the busted bits out, hammer the remains of the piston/rod up the cylinder as far as it will go and remove the pushrods for that cylinder. Reinstall the pan and see if it runs on 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom