1974 FJ40 transfer case rear output bearing removal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can the rear TC output bearings be removed without taking the transfer case apart and if so can someone please explain how it is done.

Logically, the race has to come before the bearing, and there is no room to get ‘behind ‘ the race without moving the bearing forward, requiring removing the front nose cone.

More importantly, why? If the bearing has been run loose, the gears in the tcase have not maintained required distances/tolerances. Since the idler gear is prone to failing from the inside as much as from the outside, it would be foolish to do anything less than drop all the gears for full inspection.

Logically, the race has to come before the bearing, and there is no room to get ‘behind ‘ the race without moving the bearing forward, requiring removing the front nose cone.

More importantly, why? If the bearing has been run loose, the gears in the tcase have not maintained required distances/tolerances. Since the idler gear is prone to failing from the inside as much as from the outside, it would be foolish to do anything less than drop all the gears for full inspection.
I did go ahead and pulled out the TC today. All gear teeth look great to me(but I'm def no expert). Now just waiting on the TC re-build kit.

You have very little to lose, and something to gain in at least trying to take it apart yourself. Unless you’re a BFH kind of guy, there’s little chance of breaking anything.

You’ll have a better opportunity to inspect the gears and shafts yourself, even if you end up shipping a box of parts off to have someone else reassemble them. I get a few boxes like that every year.

There have been a couple of times in my 32 years of doing this that I wished the customer could see the parts I recommended replacing. When the hard face wears off the INSIDE of the idler gear is one of them. The internet helps alot with this.

You have very little to lose, and something to gain in at least trying to take it apart yourself. Unless you’re a BFH kind of guy, there’s little chance of breaking anything.

You’ll have a better opportunity to inspect the gears and shafts yourself, even if you end up shipping a box of parts off to have someone else reassemble them. I get a few boxes like that every year.

There have been a couple of times in my 32 years of doing this that I wished the customer could see the parts I recommended replacing. When the hard face wears off the INSIDE of the idler gear is one of them. The internet helps alot with this.
Yeah I might give it a shot. I do always like fixing things myself just so I know that it's done right but this thing kinda scares me. What scares me the most is the words SHIM and that other word PRELOAD I keep reading about

65swb45, so I did it! I just finished rebuilding the TC and I'm pretty happy But I have a big question: if I put a jack under the Tranny to hold it up, can I unbolt the Tranny supports at the chassis and tilt it down enough so I can slide the TC back on to the tranny shaft?
Right now I can't get the TC back on because of the round pipe cross member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom