inner CV grease type/compatiblity question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have gone through a bunch of threads and haven't really found a comfortable answer. Some lean the way of do not mix grease and others say it is no problem to mix. its confusing. I would prefer not to have to remove, clean repack etc or reboot and do the same. Being that the leak is minimal, I would rather re-band and top up if possible. (maybe wishful thinking)

having said that the inner OEM grease is noted as being a peanut butter color and I was looking around to confirm what the base is to make sure whatever other grease I put in is compatible. I considered redline but can't be sure that the grease base will play nice with the grease in there already. the same is true of other black moly CV grease options.

I cam across this grease : GKN Tripod Joint Grease, 275 Gram Tube - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
which appears to be a brown peanut butter color and designed for the inner CV type application being a tripod joint.

has anyone used this type of grease? any opinions on using tripod grease on the inner CV? mixing with OEM?

or maybe someone knows what the base is of the OEM grease?

thanks for your help!

Where is the leak? Is the boot ripped? Could possibly be a sign it’s gonna rip soon. If so and you just want to buy time. Remove clamp, pull boots back, give it a thorough cleaning with fav degreaser, clamp and done.

You can use any CV rated grease. Everyone’s preference is different. I don’t like mixing grease. And Toyota doesn’t want you to either.

You can use this if you want. I used Redline CV, but it’s spendy. After my second reboot I just went with what Toyota sent in their kit.

Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Automotive Grease - 1lb (VV986)

You can mix them. Manufactures want to scare you into taking it to them so they tell you not to do things like mix greases.

I never like mixing greases, oil or coolants.

You can just buy a Toyota OEM boot kit $36, then just use some of the smaller tube of included grease. Boot Kit - Toyota (04427-60120) | Toyota Parts I'll buy the remainder of the kit form you.

OR

If not much too has slung out, just clamp it.

Articles_200902_grease-compatibility-chart.gif

compatibility chart : B = Borderline C = Compatible I = Incompatible

This is the part that got me leery of mixing. Redline i think is a calcium base and some are lithium etc. I wish i could figure out what the OEM stuff is made with

I just read the description for that GKN tripod grease and it says NOT recommended for CV. Use at own risk....

You will find both answer regarding mixing or not, it’s a preference. I’d go with Redline if you want but read the description it will also say not to mix.

If you do a lot of water crossings use a water resistant CV grease. Otherwise any other CV quality grease will be fine.

Articles_200902_grease-compatibility-chart.gif

compatibility chart : B = Borderline C = Compatible I = Incompatible

This is the part that got me leery of mixing. Redline i think is a calcium base and some are lithium etc. I wish i could figure out what the OEM stuff is made with

Lmao...you confused me even more....this isn’t rocket surgery.... lol

i know, its super confusing. :( the more i look the more nuts it gets

There is no readilly available aftermarket grease that matches they type used buy Toyota in the CV’s. Its a urea compound. Ive spent considerable time comparing TDS for various greases and Toyotas is fairly unique.

As @2001LC suggested buying the toyota boot kit you get two tubes of the correct grease and you can use from that.

Or clean out and refill with the redline, or valvoline synthetic with moly and re-clamp. There are very specific capacities for each tulip. Too much grease will split your aging boot. So be sure how much youre adding.

If your boots are slinging grease, its usually an indicator that your boots are nearing the end of their service life. The bandaid of adding grease and adjustable clamps will buy you time- enough time to put aside some $$ for new axles, or time to study pulling and rebooting.

Thanks for the info everyone.
Boots look to be in good shape, there is seepage out the smaller end after Torsion Bar adjustment.

I think the brown stuff is a tripod type application grease which suits the inner joint? Wondering if this could be an non OEM - "OEM" type grease. The outer I think comes with the black heavy moly stuff OEM.

there is a lot of reports of people topping off with moly type grease in the inner joint and having no long term issues reported. I know the way to go is probably rebuild but its baffling how there is no definitive answers on this anywhere as far as alternatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom