Anybody running the Rock Auto AAE Steering rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was poking around Rock Auto when I was picking up some of the 555 lower ball joints and a few new sway bar links when I noticed this...

3978N-1__ra_p.jpg

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6431421&cc=1357512&jsn=10537

$270 for a NEW not reman steering rack... 2 year warranty.

Man I can't have my local place rebuild mine for that and any reman is only going to polish the existing metal, they aren't going to be adding any new material back.

Has anyone taken the plunge with this part?

It's about half of what I can manage to track down on the BEST Toyota price.

Last edited:
Your going to need the warranty...

This is one item that requires getting off your wallet and going new OEM Toyota.

Whoa! That's nuts... and why I posted up. Looks like there is no replacement for the OEM on this one. Thanks @YardPig I appreciate it boss.

I haven’t had any issues with mine. I off-road mild to medium obstacles. I will add that I have not performed that test since I bought it.

I still have the OEM and have not done any research on how to rebuild it. It’s another project on the list of many.

I didn't really like changing my rack. It wasn't horrible but not something I want to roll the dice on and repeat the exercise every 1500 Miles. OEM lasted 17 years so that's what I put back in. :grinpimp::flipoff2::grinpimp:

I didn't really like changing my rack. It wasn't horrible but not something I want to roll the dice on and repeat the exercise every 1500 Miles. OEM lasted 17 years so that's what I put back in. :grinpimp::flipoff2::grinpimp:

That makes total sense, except your OEM rack is a mass reman in a Toyota box...

That makes total sense, except your OEM rack is a mass reman in a Toyota box...

HUH? Sorry, wrong, brand new in the box, not a reman. You can buy either if you wish.

HUH? Sorry, wrong, brand new in the box, not a reman. You can buy either if you wish.

You are not getting a brand new steering rack for a 100 anymore.
Obviously I have no idea how long ago you bought yours, but as of the time of this post, no way are you getting a brand new Toyota branded steering rack for a 100 series.

I believe you still can get new. But they manufacture them in batches. So your dealer may or may not be able to get them depending on availability.

I believe you still can get new. But they manufacture them in batches. So your dealer may or may not be able to get them depending on availability.

They stop making parts 10yrs after the last model year ended.
Last model year for the 100 was 2007, so 2017 no more are being made, old new stock if you can find it I'll go along with.

The 10 year drop-off is not absolute. Interior parts will go sooner and consumables will go later. There are a lot of exceptions, all based on profit.

Okay, say I have Toyota's top seller, the 1996 Toyota Camry, which was the last year of that body style. You are saying new racks were discontinued in 2006? So Toyota is hoarding hundreds of 12+ year '96 NOS racks somewhere?

Here is new:
44250-06023
44250-06023 - Genuine Toyota GEAR ASSY, POWER STEERING

Here is remanufactured:
44250-06023-84
44250-06023-84 - Genuine Toyota REMAN RACK & PINION

Notice the -84 suffix for remanufactured.

Last edited:
You are not getting a brand new steering rack for a 100 anymore.
Obviously I have no idea how long ago you bought yours, but as of the time of this post, no way are you getting a brand new Toyota branded steering rack for a 100 series.

You are misinformed and your logic of understanding supply vs demand is flawed. I purchased a NEW Toyota steering rack last year and just so happens my friend bought one two weeks ago. Both came from a friendly Toyota dealer, aka Satan. :flipoff2:

I chose A Detroit Axle Rack. Build quality looked very good, and steering is nice and solid! I have been pleased with DA parts, so far I have a replaced CV Axle and the rack, courtesy of DA.
I know this isn't a review of the rack for the LC, but it's close enough: Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Power Steering Rack And Pinion For Toyota Sequoia & Tundra - BuyAutoParts 80-00806AN New

You said you already had to replace the whole rack? I just wanted to make sure I read that correctly...
How long did the first replacement last and how long has the second one been on?

You said you already had to replace the whole rack? I just wanted to make sure I read that correctly...
How long did the first replacement last and how long has the second one been on?
The new one has been on now for about two months. Replaced at 236k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom