What is this!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wtf is this with the opening and 2 stainless hoses going to
The manifold? I would assume
Something for emissions or
Smog? This is on a 1997 lx450 originally bought in New York that went south. Haven’t seen this before on Southern vehicles.
FB6442B3-CD34-446B-9468-7E972B97A1F8.jpeg

PAIR valve?

I would think you got 93 94 engine in your 97 that top open pipe goes to the air box but you have a maf not vaf so it is open, your exhaust headers are 93 94 also, pull the pair system off and put block plates there, you could move one o2 the forward one from your exhaust there but not the back one since it reads after cat. The heater hose above the pair is 93 94 you can grab a metal line from 95 and up and replace that rubber line to metal hose also

PAIR valve?

Yes, it's a PAIR valve. It was on 93/94. Engine was probably swapped at one point with a 93/94. Check the oil pans, the 95-97 are different and have an oil level sensor on them. If there is no sensor, it's definitely been swapped. If there is, you can still swap the pans. But no one puts on a PAIR , so I still say it's swapped.

It is definitely part of the PAIR system. The air box probably has a 1.5" pipe sticking out of it. The silencer is missing. Only '93&'94 engines had these.

I guess the air box was original and the engine was swapped in from the earlier model. Just whip it off, block the vac lines and put a '95 or later heater hose on it so it looks like a later model.

I had no clue when buying that the motor was swapped. I am a tacoma guru and do not know a whole lot about the 80 series but learning. Is having a 94 engine good/bad/the same ?

He has a maf sensor so he can't run a vaf 93 94 airbox top which is why that pipe is open, I also believe you must swap the pans due to ob2 wire harness and 93 94 is ob1

The truck is in immaculate shape inside and out. I don’t regret buying it, but a little ticked it’s not the original engine.

You will be ok essentially same motor few differences you can pull all the stuff I mentioned in above post

Well, it's ODB1 to start with. I like my '94. Not sure the later models offer anything new and exciting.

Yea I'd toss the pair valve and change the heater line I talked about and it will look better and be pretty identical to 95 up

You will also need the throttle cable bracket from 95 and up engine to hold the cable when you remove the pair system

Pull them off and use blanking plates on the manifold. If you can't find or make plates then pop over to @NLXTACY site and find some key chains....

If your state requires emissions testing now or in the future you could be screwed. Federal regulations require the same year or newer engine. Your current problem is the differences between ODB1 and ODB2 means that your vehicle wiring is most likely going to be some type of hybrid making it very difficult to diagnose problems for you or your mechanic.

If your state requires emissions testing now or in the future you could be screwed. Federal regulations require the same year or newer engine. Your current problem is the differences between ODB1 and ODB2 means that your vehicle wiring is most likely going to be some type of hybrid making it very difficult to diagnose problems for you or your mechanic.

Agreed. Odd they don’t go same year lots of 1997 cruisers out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom