Sputtering right after gas light is on... no luck searching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BullElk

SILVER Star
Threads
This has happened twice recently in my wife’s ‘06 LX.

Like immediately after the gas light comes on the LX begins to sputter and go dead like out of gas. Then fill up with only like 21-22 gallons. So I know it’s not out of gas.

An ideas are appreciated.

Could be a crack in the fuel pick up line so once the fuel level drops below that crack it starts sucking air.
Kinda like a crack in the middle of a soda straw.

ahhhh. Never even heard of such. Would it not leak out waaayyy before it was consumed/burned?

Well you said it was sputtering like it was running out of gas, so if the crack was letting some of the fuel out and back into the tank the engine isn't going to be getting all the fuel it needs, so it's going to sputter like it running out of gas.
I do not know if this is your problem, I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.
I have had this happen before on a work van, got below half a tank and it spat and sputtered, turned a corner in the right direction and the crack was submerged and it ran fine, level ground, spit and sputter. Fill the tank, ran fine.
Our mechanic tried every thing, spent hours and hours trying to figure it out. Finally pulled the fuel pump to replace it...cracked fuel pickup line.

Likely a fuel pump issue. But keep in mind sometimes while filling gas tank, the fueling nozzle shuts off early. So you may indeed have been empty. What did your fuel gauge read! Also remember; never squeeze fueling nozzole a second time after auto shut off, as causes fuel related issues from over filling.

@Spike555 I can understand why'd say this, but fuel is not sucked into fuel line like on mechanical pumps.

Fuel pump pushes fuel through the line. If a hole in the line it would show up as a pressure lose no matter what the tank level. Here's a picture of electric fuel pump assemble, to help get a visual aid.

020a.jpg

A fuel pressure TEST would be a good idea. It's very possible, as fuel level lowers in tank you're getting lower fuel pressure. So test should first be performed with a full tank, then again while tank near empty (ideally while condition of sputtering)

A quick fuel pressure test is to pinch off fuel return line. (Edited: Pinching could damage line!) This comes off back side of intake manifold on DS, clips onto engine cover. Pinch it shut stopping follow, and if idle then raise, a fuel pressure test with SST tool (pressure gauge) would be warranted.
Fuel return line.jpg

Last edited:
Great. Thank you

You're more than welcome @BullElk. Keep in mind, fuel pump is only one component that affects pressure. Also other things may have been going on, and fuel level was only a coincidence. Getting to repeat with low fuel will be helpful.

Likely a fuel pump issue. But keep in mind sometimes while filling gas tank, the fueling nozzle shuts off early. So you may indeed have been empty. What did your fuel gauge read! Also remember; never squeeze fueling nozzole a second time after auto shut off, as causes fuel related issues from over filling.

@Spike555 I can understand why'd say this, but fuel is not sucked into fuel line like on mechanical pumps.

Fuel pump pushes fuel through the line. If a hole in the line it would show up as a pressure lose no matter what the tank level. Here's a picture of electric fuel pump assemble, to help get a visual aid.

View attachment 1660628

A fuel pressure TEST would be a good idea. It's very possible, as fuel level lowers in tank you're getting lower fuel pressure. So test should first be performed with a full tank, then again while tank near empty (ideally while condition of sputtering)

A quick fuel pressure test is to pinch off fuel return line. This comes off back side of intake manifold on DS, clips onto engine cover. Pinch it shut stopping follow, and if idle then raise, a fuel pressure test with SST tool (pressure gauge) would be warranted.
View attachment 1660635

Thats what I meant, that line that looks like a bendy straw from the amusement park...if it has a crack in it it'll leak and starve the engine of fuel.
Sorry if I did not explain it well.

A friend of mine once got a similar issue.
The problem was the fuel tank was dented. He hit something doing offroad which dented the tank which reduced its capacity.

Thats what I meant, that line that looks like a bendy straw from the amusement park...if it has a crack in it it'll leak and starve the engine of fuel.
Sorry if I did not explain it well.
The "bendy straw" is return line. ;)

This has happened twice recently in my wife’s ‘06 LX.

Like immediately after the gas light comes on the LX begins to sputter and go dead like out of gas. Then fill up with only like 21-22 gallons. So I know it’s not out of gas.

An ideas are appreciated.

^^^^^ I have an idea.

Don't wait until the low fuel light comes on to fill up. ;)

The fuel capacity (full) is 25.4 gallons. There is no subtank/reserve on the LX. So it would be best to keep 1/4 tank in it as much as is possible.

Having only 3 to 4 gallons of fuel left in your tank (remember its spread out on the bottom)....likely isn't covering the pick up tube and darn sure isn't covering the fuel pump...which in part relies on the fuel to keep it cool.

If you have only an inch or so of fuel in the bottom of the tank (assuming your sending unit is fairly accurate) then its not unreasonable to expect that during cornering, acceleration or going up or down-hill...you might have fuel starvation.

Best solution: Keep more fuel in the tank.

^^^. Sure but it’s still not normal behavior. So I am curious what is not working properly.

^^^^^ I have an idea.

Don't wait until the low fuel light comes on to fill up. ;)

The fuel capacity (full) is 25.4 gallons. There is no subtank/reserve on the LX. So it would be best to keep 1/4 tank in it as much as is possible.

Having only 3 to 4 gallons of fuel left in your tank (remember its spread out on the bottom)....likely isn't covering the pick up tube and darn sure isn't covering the fuel pump...which in part relies on the fuel to keep it cool.

If you have only an inch or so of fuel in the bottom of the tank (assuming your sending unit is fairly accurate) then its not unreasonable to expect that during cornering, acceleration or going up or down-hill...you might have fuel starvation.

Best solution: Keep more fuel in the tank.

Ive been stopped and idling on a hill facing down for some photos and the truck turned off and wouldnt start again. I freaked out until i realized the fuel low light was on. I rolled down the hill where it was flat and it started right up. When its low on fuel the truck doesnt like angles.

2001LC....this line is a hard line. Not soft to pinch off. ????

image.jpg

^^^. Sure but it’s still not normal behavior. So I am curious what is not working properly.

Dented fuel tank?
Inaccurate sending unit (could be mechanical or electrical)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom