Buy a 10k FJ60 series, or an 18k FJ60 series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this might sound like silly question but hear me out ..

.. I am moving on from my latest vehicle which is a 2013 Golf R. I modded it with Porsche Cayenne brakes, APR Stage II, Shaved badge and an iPad mini 2 in the inside yet - I get nervous touching parts of an engine that oil runs through.

The question is - for those of you have that have gone through this - do I invest in my first SUV at the lower price range with money to throw at it (inexpensive but rust free), or do I get a vehicle that has been restored but running off the original engine?

I am prepared to take on a project - either way I will be taking on something I want to make my own.

I have a couple good candidate vehicles - excited to see how folks respond.

Hmmm...

You want this as a real and permanent car, or as a toy? If it's a real car that you'll use and abuse, while you learn to work on old iron, then get the $10k one (or less, honestly). These are built to be working vehicles, so don't be afraid of it.

But if this is just the latest fad/toy for you, then get the more expensive one, since you'll likely sell in 3 or 4 years anyway.

But if it's FJ60 you want, you want an FJ62 for the fuel injection. Seriously, even if you want a manual transmission, a manual transmission swapped FJ62 is a better FJ60, than a real FJ60.

And, by the way, what the heck is a "shaved badge"? Whatever it is, don't do it to your FJ60!

I have no idea what you’re talking about in the first paragraph of your original post. However, if you want to make something “your own”... then buy the cheapest rust free 60 you can find, and build it how you want it. Otherwise, you’re just buying someone else’s build.

Attached is my VW - with the VW badge shaved off - haha!

F7C9ADEF-4A68-4CD8-A94B-87C5DFB31DF4.JPG

Oh and I think I want it to both.

I want to be able to take it off-road in Colorado (I've dabbled with my a friends Defender 90 in Breck back country), yet pick someone up at the airport and comfortably drive them home.

I am stuck between an already V8 swapped FJ60, or an elegantly refinished interior and exterior FJ62. The V8 swap is less expensive as it has some interior and exterior work to do (however no rust).

20k is fair, so spend it up front or dump it in how I see fit.

This is what I would do, if I had 20k to spend. First, you should know that I’m somewhat of a purist and would never put a Chevy motor into a Land Cruiser. A lot of guys do, but at that point, you don’t have a Land Cruiser anymore. No offense to the SBC guys out there, it’s just not for me.

Find the best rust free cruiser that you can. Use this guide to help you...

D6F935A4-538B-4F23-AE15-ED1DAEB35155.jpeg

Spend $7500-$10k

Start on a soft restore. New carpet, headliner and upholstery will make the interior look new again. You’ll spend $2k on the interior. Yes, you can spend more.

Drive whatever drivetrain you bought it with for awhile while you learn what you like and don’t like. For example, i was set on doing a five speed swap until I went on a 4000 mile road trip through the west and realized, I love what I got.

In a year, you’ll be baselining the truck and you’ll also learn a lot about Land Cruisers and all the options that are available for drivetrains. You may want a diesel 12-HT for instance.

While you drive and decide, you’ll work on suspension, tire and wheels, expect another $2500-3000 here. Before you decide on suspension, you’ll need to decide on armor. Do you want front and rear bumpers? Sliders?

If paint and body need to be addressed, you can also plan this phase next.

Finally, you’ll know enough about your cruiser and other cruisers, to make an informed decision on drivetrain options.

For now, just decide if you want round headlights, or square headlights.

If you are not familiar with V8 swaps and unable to make a judgement about it's overall quality, I personally, would want the one that's got the original drive train.

Do you have another car to drive? If not, owning an older Land Cruiser is not easy, since it will frequently be down for projects or maintenance. But you will need to learn to work on it yourself, otherwise they become very expensive to own and your $20k budget will go right out the window.

So I recommend you find a more original truck, like an un-restored, un-modified FJ60/FJ62, and go from there.

That VW looks like a good daily driver. Keep that, shaved and all. Buy whatever wagon you can afford. You might even look at 80 series. They are sort of the best of all worlds and are often quite cheap to buy.

I propose a 3rd option. Another 60, rust free with the original power plant so you can make it yours. If after a few years you dislike the venture, we will buy that truck piece by piece via the classifieds.

I would find whatever is the best deal for you. $10k is gonna need work to be a real daily driver and even a 20k one could have hidden issues.

I would suggest to find one with 200k miles, desmogged (if your allowed that), history of knuckle rebuild and full brake job / seals, and no rust. If they did that stuff they probably knew how to maintain the rest.

Drive it and fix knickknack BS as you go.

@Aloha Jen I was actually going to tag your build as a prime example of what can be done. Your build is one of my favorites. I didn’t tag b cause it would have drifted too far away from the OP’s original question. But yeah... you do have nice pineapples in Hawaii too.

As the previous memeber said. Go with the 10k or even less and rust free. There are some gems out there.
That way you make it your own and at the same time learn it from inside out. As you did with your VW.
I would keep the VW as a back up cause they will either be sitting on jacks stands while working on them or break down! But whatever you choose it will put a smile on your face!

There is plenty of great advice here - I truly appreciate it. I will follow up once I pull the trigger!

This is what I would do, if I had 20k to spend. First, you should know that I’m somewhat of a purist and would never put a Chevy motor into a Land Cruiser. A lot of guys do, but at that point, you don’t have a Land Cruiser anymore. No offense to the SBC guys out there, it’s just not for me.

Find the best rust free cruiser that you can. Use this guide to help you...

View attachment 1659628

Spend $7500-$10k

Start on a soft restore. New carpet, headliner and upholstery will make the interior look new again. You’ll spend $2k on the interior. Yes, you can spend more.

Drive whatever drivetrain you bought it with for awhile while you learn what you like and don’t like. For example, i was set on doing a five speed swap until I went on a 4000 mile road trip through the west and realized, I love what I got.

In a year, you’ll be baselining the truck and you’ll also learn a lot about Land Cruisers and all the options that are available for drivetrains. You may want a diesel 12-HT for instance.

While you drive and decide, you’ll work on suspension, tire and wheels, expect another $2500-3000 here. Before you decide on suspension, you’ll need to decide on armor. Do you want front and rear bumpers? Sliders?

If paint and body need to be addressed, you can also plan this phase next.

Finally, you’ll know enough about your cruiser and other cruisers, to make an informed decision on drivetrain options.

For now, just decide if you want round headlights, or square headlights.

I should add that I take the bus/train and ride my bike for my commute. I ride about 8k miles a year, so the truck can sit on jack stands and I will survive.

My wife has a Q7, we use this for all grocery getting and deep drives currently. My VW for all purposes is too loud, low and angry for comfortable distance drives.

We live in Boulder, CO - I become very connected to my vehicles, and after lurking around here for quite awhile - appreciate the cult like following these 60 series have. I want to be apart of it.

I was thinking if you have 20K to spend and do not drive much I would probably find a good mechanic and have him replace all wearable parts/seals with quality parts, tune it up, throw an OME lift on it because suspension will need to be addressed anyway, and have it painted. Take it to an upholstery shop and install new carpet, fix any nicks in the vinyl parts, install BMW X3 seats and an ok radio.

Just find one with good compression, no rust, and isn't thrashed.

Removing an emblem is not really a noteworthy "mod" in the Land Cruiser world. With LC's this "mod" happens in a more organic fashion, either by it falling off on its own or through contact with trees, boulders, deer and such. Ipad mini 2? Must be some kind of female product with wings.

Good luck with your 60 search. Rust is the enemy. Everything else is fixable.

Good choice in a new vehicle. However, a thirty year old SUV is going to need work and keep on needing work until EVERYTHING has been gone through and maintained and or upgraded. First and foremost, as little rust as possible, period. Everything else is a cake walk compared to heavy rust repair, and I do this every day. I can handle sheet metal work and like the results when done but the process is a big zero on the fun list.

There is really only one way to turn a 60/62, or any other old vehicle for that matter, into a reliable DD type of vehicle and that is to go through the entire vehicle at once. If you do it piece meal you will chase it until you finally get through it and everything has been fixed. Right about then is when one of the first things you repaired requires attention again.

Most of us here on this forum know this syndrome all too well. The sick part is that most of us feel the cure is to just buy another old Land Cruiser to drive as well. I figure at least one of them will be running well at any one given time. :)

Go find yourself a 60/62 in fair shape and make it your own.

Removing an emblem is not really a noteworthy "mod" in the Land Cruiser world. With LC's this "mod" happens in a more organic fashion, either by it falling off on its own or through contact with trees, boulders, deer and such.

Ipad mini 2? Must be some kind of female product with wings.

Good luck with your 60 search. Rust is the enemy. Everything else is fixable.

That is just too funny.

To the OP, if you shave the badges off the new cruiser I'll buy them, they are hard items to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom