Change Those Heater Tees! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fooldall1

Handy Enthusiast
Threads
Got around to changing the heater tees. I went with the stainless replacements, because I want something more permanent. However, word to the wise..if you choose the stainless replacements, be sure to get the worm clamps and replace those pressure clamps! The hoses won't seal on the metal tee snugly enough, and you'll wind up leaking badly.

But, wow... The tees were like putty in there. They had the consistency of tough beef jerky.. Soft, mushy, and just waiting to strand me on the side of s a remote Florida highway

Change those tees!

20180321_164053.jpg

20180321_164056.jpg

20180321_164117.jpg

20180321_164117.jpg

Would this apply to the GX470 as well, do you think?

You know...I'm not sure. Probably, though.

The results.

20180321_172845.jpg

Where did you source the stainless tee?

How many miles do you have on your rig? That looks frightening, is it plastic?

I ordered mine online here:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DCNGIS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ihco-20

It may be wise to replace the hoses at the same time to ensure that you get a good snug and leak free fit.

Not to hijack this thread but I started looking for a hose kit, if there is such a thing, and didn’t come up with much. Has anyone found a good set to use?

For example - this 100 series kit looks like it would be good on paper but got a bad review for poor fit. I’ll search mud...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...r+hose+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=41i58SNkZiL&ref=plSrch

Just did mine as well. Bought everything OEM from @beno

Did this myself a few months back and I know I had to do a good amount of searching for all the parts. Here's the list I used:

(2) Four Seasons 5/8"x5/8"x1/2" ID Tee Barb Fitting (84543)
(1) Gates Molded Heater Hose (19082)
(1) Gates Molded Heater Hose (18622)
(6) Breeze #10 (9/16"-1 1/16") Constant Torque Clamps

The two hoses need to be cut into pieces to match the bends of the old ones.

The constant torque clamps (these are better than worm clamps) go on the new tees, since they are not the same OD as the factory tees. The factory clamps can be reused on the other ends.

I ordered mine online here:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DCNGIS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=ihco-20

It may be wise to replace the hoses at the same time to ensure that you get a good snug and leak free fit.

How do you go through life without finger nails?
:rofl:

I learned the hard way that my heater hose Ts were bad... by seeing a plume of coolant mist billow from under the hood while out driving around town. Shut it down immediately, took an uber to the dealership and did the repair on the sidewalk of a neighborhood with the help of some tools from an understanding neighbor (who surely just wanted me gone from in front of his house)

Seriously pristine truck with all kinds of maintenance, and this little suckers would have killed it.

I just did this with stainless tees, but I didn't use worm clamps and there aren't any leaks. I did use all new hoses so maybe that is why.

I bought Toyota T's and asked my mechanic to change them for me while I was getting an oil change and AC work done. It's a tricky task to give your mechanic tips that you've read about on the forum. Don't want to hurt his ego, but at the same time, you don't want to be a victim of something that could've been totally prevented because you yourself have been warned. I nonchalantly told him that "I read on a forum that they often crumble and pieces of the T fall into the pipe while they're being taken out." He just nodded. Didn't take any measures to kink the hose. Kinda seemed ticked off that I'm telling him how to do his job. He takes the cold T out, looks at it, and says "doesn't look bad at all. Don't know why you're changing them out, I've never heard of this problem before". I just calmly said "maybe that's the cold side, the hot side should be more corroded".

He goes to take out the second one, and of course it crumbles in his hand. He takes the old T out and notices that it's not the whole thing... I ask him, where's the rest of it? Haha. That's when he starts to sweat. Goes to take the hose out completely. Realizes he's lucky that the crumbled pieces are all still in the hose that can now be taken out...

Didn't say anything else. Probably made some conclusions quietly and to himself.

On a different note. He noticed that the big fat coolant hose that comes out of the top of the radiator and goes down somewhere is inflated on my truck. He said I should just order a new one on eBay and let it sit in my trunk just in case. Anybody know about this big hose being inflated? Is that a sign?

Not to hijack this thread but I started looking for a hose kit, if there is such a thing, and didn’t come up with much. Has anyone found a good set to use?

For example - this 100 series kit looks like it would be good on paper but got a bad review for poor fit. I’ll search mud...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M...r+hose+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=41i58SNkZiL&ref=plSrch

I found these OEM part numbers in an old thread here and ordered the hoses below online. I swapped out the hoses when I replaced my plastic Tees with stainless and reused my old clamps with no leaks.

Another poster here pointed out that one of these hose numbers shows up as a part from a Highlander, but it was a perfect fit for my 2006 LX470. YMMV.

Toyota 87245-6A220, HVAC Heater Hose
Toyota 87245-6A190, HVAC Heater Hose
Toyota 87245-6A210, HVAC Heater Hose
Toyota 87245-6A180, HVAC Heater Hose
Toyota 99556-20200, HVAC Heater Hose
Toyota 87245-6A201, HVAC Heater Hose

I bought Toyota T's and asked my mechanic to change them for me...

...On a different note. He noticed that the big fat coolant hose that comes out of the top of the radiator and goes down somewhere is inflated on my truck. He said I should just order a new one on eBay and let it sit in my trunk just in case. Anybody know about this big hose being inflated? Is that a sign?

They swell and get mushy when they’re old. You need to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom