Camping shower, heated from the vehicle radiator coolant system. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G'Day Fella's,

I finally had a play with it today Renago.
It works a treat but with a 35*C/95*F day time temperature, its a bit Hot, for a Hot Shower.

Here are some images of the pump bracket, and pump out of and then finally, in the Battle Cruiser.

The two end brackets were made out of what ever spare steel material and off cuts, I had laying about. The Pump mounting platform, is a cut out from a "19" Rack" , of 1/8"/3mm Aluminium fascia. You can see the 4 x center punch marks, for the pumps feet.
DSCN2204.JPG

DSCN2205.JPG

I drilled and tapped the 4 x M4 holes, to hold the pump in place and added Nyloc nuts to the under side, for added security and with larger outside diameter panel washers.
DSCN2206.JPG

You can see the inline strainer here, on the Inlet/Suction side of the pump.
DSCN2208.JPG

I used garden irrigation fittings for most of the Shower Water side of this system, and cable ties, the hold the Blue coloured Drinking Water Hose in place. This should be OK......... time will tell.
DSCN2207.JPG

Last edited:
G'Day again,

Here are some images of the Shurflo 4009 water pump in place, at the Front, Right corner, of the engine bay (behind the RHS head light).

One support bracket is mounted to the RHS radiator Vertical support bracket. The other bracket, is mounted to RHS inner guard. You can also see the Missile Switch, for turning the pump on and off. The switch is acting like a Momentary switch at present, which I'm not happy with, hence the Cable Tie to confirm it remains OFF!
DSCN2212.JPG

DSCN2209.JPG

DSCN2214.JPG

You can see here, the Brass Quick Connect fitting and hose barb in it's bracket, for the supply/suction/inlet side of the pump system.
DSCN2210.JPG

Ditto here, for the discharge/outlet from and adjacent to the HE. Both of these Quick Connect fittings, are mounted to the front of the top radiator support frame.
DSCN2211.JPG

I filled a 9 liter/2 Gallon bucket with tap water, and it emptied it in under a minute

*I just checked, and confirmed that the Missile switch I purchased, is a Momentary switch and not the On-Off type switch I wanted. I didn't realise they made/had options. Double Doh!!*

Homer will be a Happy Camper.

Last edited:
Here is a Before and After (undercoat paint) image of the Inlet and Outlet, shower Quick Connect hose fitting brackets.
A Left and a Right hand one of these is require, to bolt into existing factory welded nuts, in the main radiator support frame. In both instances, the shower hose goes thru a factory made oval shaped hole, in the main radiator support frame.

DSCN2194.JPG

Hopefully, these images will give you a better view of where the Quick Connect hose fitting bracket (in this case, the Discharge/Outlet side), is mounted/located.
DSCN2198.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN2200.JPG

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's

Thanks for the kind comment Renago.

If you are referring to the shower water temperature?
As previously stated, this is controlled by the cabin heater temperature/flow control, in the dash.

Now all I have to do, is relocate the small shower rose/head etc, that I have somewhere in my Funshop............... or maybe it's in the shipping container......................, and I'll be finished.

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
Homer,

Something you might have to rethink. Where I live water will freeze in Winter and I have to drain the shower water out of both hot and cold lines. With the quick disconnect pointing up, the water won't be able to drain out. I use a short piece of hose with a male coupler on it, but mine are mounted below the bumper. I'm guessing you don't get very cold Winters though.

G'Day Scrapdaddy and thank you for this great advice.

Yes we do get freezing winters here in my part of Oz, and -6*C/20*F is not uncommon, here in town.
It gets a lot colder, up the mountains.
I can blow the shower water thru and out of the shower side of system, including the HE.
This should avoid any frost damage.

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

I've given up on locating the shower head/rose, I had put aside for this job.
So I used a conventional standard type, articulated shower rose, I picked up a few weeks back (for the "right price"= $0.00).

Its the Australia Day long weekend this weekend, so I'll give it a run up the bush and take an image or two.

D'oh!
Homer

G'Day Cobbers,

Just back from a weekend away up the bush.
I gave the new shower system a run and I'm very happy with the final product.
From a cold start, it took the engine 5 minutes to get to a warm temperature but by 10 min's the shower water was border line Hot.
Here are some images, next to the shack.

Here it is, just drawing water from a Jerry can (it's a bit to boggy, down by the creek)
DSCN2264.JPG

This is the shower water flow control valve, in the Off position.
DSCN2267.JPG

Here you can see the brass bracket I made for this. You can see how it slips over the top of a spare tent pole I had and works a treat.
DSCN2272.JPG

DSCN2273.JPG

DSCN2283.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
G'Day again,

FYI, apart from at the HE itself (I used Brass fitting there), the rest of the hose fittings I have used on the shower water side of this unit, are just 1/2"/13mm domestic irrigation type.

Here from Left to Right, you can see;
The shower head, tent pole bracket and control valve (in its folded for storage position),
A connection for a house tap (top)
A 1/2"/13mm inline water filter (bottom and Black), for field use in creeks, lakes etc,
And the wash down device that I use to rinse off mud and dust from the vehicle (when I get home) and salt water, etc (asap after the exposure).
DSCN2280.JPG

Here you can see the 1/2"/13mm domestic irrigation 90* elbow and cable ties, I used at the Water In, quick couple-er on the vehicle.
DSCN2274.JPG

And here is a view of the Aussie Bush, at it's high country, Summer time green best.
DSCN2271.JPG

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
This thread is great! Nice Work!

Nice work. But why don't you guys just use a thermostatic mixing valve? So that you can adjust the temperature, and more important, not let it get to hot. Just run one directly from water source to mixing valve and the other over the heat exchanger.
As long as it is not hot enough yet, you can run it back to the jerrycan again.

I went the lazy way in, and that means I bought a small 6 liter electric boiler, 12V 200W. This is something you can just hook up and enable while driving. And you can set the temperature on the boiler. I then mix it at my normal watertap (which you can pull out to make a shower)
The advantages are that you can place it anywhere in the vehicle, and you don't have to run the engine. I can also run it from my battery when there is enough solar power.
6 liter is not much but you mix it with probably 10 liter cold water, so it is comparable to your can of water I think.

G'Day Hiace4wd and thank you for your kind comment and advice.

When I remember to (D'oh! I meant to do this on the recent test........ the name "Homer" is appropriate........... D'oh!), I will work out what is an OK shower water temperature, and then place a mark on the heater control switch/slider, in the dash.
The heater control switch/slider, is the equivalent of flow regulating valve for the cabin heater core/coil, which the HE is plumbed into.
In theory, this should regulate the engines coolant system water flow thru the HE, and this I hope Hiace4wd, should achieve the same thing.

Regards
Homer

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

Here's a couple of images of the first official use of this system, in the bush.
After a couple of hot and dusty days away (remember, Summer just finished down here), it was an absolute pleasure to use this, and well worth the time, effort and money.

D'oh!
Homer

DSCN2450.JPG

DSCN2451.JPG

LOL! Skniper.
Your pretty safe with that mate.
The last thing the global population needs, is my bare arse/ass on their computer screen.

LOL! again
Homer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom