Good shock replacement needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
I have a few good used suspension lift leaf packages laying around and want to install one on a hzj73 but would like to get a decent set of longer shocks without paying a premium for OME because I never have been happy with them anyhow.

Anybody knows some part numbers for a set of Monroe, Bilstein, Rancho or any other longer then stock shocks I could get here in the US without spending to much ?

I have a set of bilsteins coming in the mail right now for my BJ73. they have lifted version of the shocks in the following link

Bilstein Suspension Australia

Part numbers are in there.

I got them delivered in Aus from sparesbox for just under $1000 AUD

Will comment on how good they are when I get them

Dobinson? I keep seeing Bilstein being mentioned in Australia.

Same issue as buying any other Aussie brand here, cost has inflated to much. That is why I would like to find a common shock in the US aka Rancho or anything else found on Heeps or trucks

I have a set of bilsteins coming in the mail right now for my BJ73. they have lifted version of the shocks in the following link

Bilstein Suspension Australia

Part numbers are in there.

I got them delivered in Aus from sparesbox for just under $1000 AUD

Will comment on how good they are when I get them

It looks like you guys in Auss have the same problem, that shock cost probably half as much in Europe and the part number seems to only work for sellers in Aus.

I had Bilstein shocks under my 40’s in the past and like the 5130 series I think they are called.

I am sure there is not much special about the shock, besides the correct length and mounting type, may just take some trial and error trying out a few generic ones to find the best one. Which will take time and effort, something that bilstein has already done, and charging you for it in their pricing.

Joe, I had the Skyjacker M95's on the Hilux and they felt great. Nitro and a large diameter chromed shaft. Easy to source and pretty cheap. I think mine were less than $80 ea. Perform better than OME IMHO and feel similar to long travel Bilsteins.....

Definitely an aside, but for our 70 series, how difficult would it be to have a coil spring set up instead of leaf springs? I imagine the terrain tamer shocks would be decent, no?

Bilstein part numbers, if available, would be appreciated.

It depends on how much you want to spend, but I think buying the best leaf springs you can find is the best option.
There was some kits around but they never really caught on.
how difficult would it be to have a coil spring set up instead of leaf springs?

I have a few good used suspension lift leaf packages laying around and want to install one on a hzj73 but would like to get a decent set of longer shocks without paying a premium for OME because I never have been happy with them anyhow.

Anybody knows some part numbers for a set of Monroe, Bilstein, Rancho or any other longer then stock shocks I could get here in the US without spending to much ?

Hey Mate,

As per our catalog the front we use the GS59-637 but we have two other options being longer in length and softer valving. The GS59-701 being a little softer and the GS59-705 being much softer. Both are slightly bigger pin up top and not 100% sure on the solid block bush if it will be ok.

For the rear we normally fit the GS59-649, might be able use the GS59-229 as a longer travel.

Hey Mate,

As per our catalog the front we use the GS59-637 but we have two other options being longer in length and softer valving. The GS59-701 being a little softer and the GS59-705 being much softer. Both are slightly bigger pin up top and not 100% sure on the solid block bush if it will be ok.

For the rear we normally fit the GS59-649, might be able use the GS59-229 as a longer travel.

The idea of this tread is to find a good alternative to Australian or European made shocks because these come at a premium here and there are plenty US based manufacters that provide good all around quality shocks at a better price point then the imported brands.Don't get me wrong I have used OME,Dobison,TJM,Ironman,Bilstein and so on and am pretty with them but there are plenty of brands here that we can use with a bit of digging trough the specs at a lower price and easier availability at any local parts store.

Has anyone tried comparing FJ60/HJ61 shocks to the 70s? Seems like the weight profile and mounts should be the same?

Bilsteins are assembly in the USA!
So they may be little more affordable, and there are quite good. just a mater of finding the right one for your application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom