LX 570 - rats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4E7CE5EE-054F-42DF-B790-4A44DF3D2869.jpeg
This sucks. We own a 2017 LX. My wife parks under a tree in a part of our driveway near the yard as she isn’t comfortable pulling it in the area under the porch (only a few inches on either side of pillars to house). Anyway, today she got a crazy electrical message. She took the car to the dealer. Dude called me and said rats had nested in engine bay and eaten a bunch of the wires. Waiting on estimate to fix tomorrow. Crazy.

I think the guy is gonna send me some pics tomorrow. I’ll post them if the pics and repair price don’t make me cry.

Sounds like an auto insurance claim to me.

Dryer sheets also work well and don't stink as bad.

Around these parts where we have mountain rats that like to climb in the engine bay to stay warm, most people prop their hood up when they get home to cool it off quickly.

It's true that Moth balls smell like Satan's ballsack and you wouldn't want to use them inside. When they're fresh you definitely have to cover it up or move them if you're working on your truck. It's good old fashioned napthalene Naphthalene - Wikipedia and spiders, squirrels, and mice don't like it.

That's so unfortunate. Hopefully it is not an engine wiring harness.

On the bright side, it's a Lexus and will be straightforward whatever the end result.

I had mice chew through my air pipes on an airmatic s class Mercedes once and it was misery.

Still haven't heard back. Will update when I do. Thanks for the emotional support. :(

They like the engine valley (warm and covered) so don't be surprised if it is the knock-sensor wiring. Happened to me.

It's true that Moth balls smell like Satan's ballsack and you wouldn't want to use them inside. When they're fresh you definitely have to cover it up or move them if you're working on your truck. It's good old fashioned napthalene Naphthalene - Wikipedia and spiders, squirrels, and mice don't like it.

Prior owner of my house (built in 1888) put mothballs in the attic to keep squirrels out. Didn't work, but the upstairs smelled awful. OTOH squirrel traps work like a friggin' champ.

Ugh that sucks. I used to go on a backpacking trip in the medicine bow mountains in north CO every year. And every year we would come back to a check engine light because rodents had eaten something. Tried mothballs, traps, all kinds of things. Killed some rodents, but not enough to stop them lol

Happened to my parents Lexus (car) - it was a few months old. Lexus covered it. So hopefully you can get some help from Lexus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom