It just keeps getting better. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now it seems I have not only a steering problem but a 4WD issue. This may sound silly. but from the info I have, I must ask; is the electro/vacuum system for engaging the 4WD by switch only...no shift lever? All I have is a lever.

Year of your cruiser, model and market. Pictures of what you have. US model only used a cable to activate the 4WD vacuum switch on the 40/55 series.

1978/79 global model (general market). Non USA/Canada model. (South America) Pictures of 'what' would be of the most help? This was on the inner fender but not connected to anything
IMG_20180313_181041.jpg

I suspect they were asking for pictures of your whole rig, and year. I take it you have a 1978 FJ40? South America model.

That year should be directly shift only; no vacuum.

Yes it is a South American model but I think The registration says 78 but the tub and gas tank etc says 79 and from the front turn lights, possibly fenders from the 80s. 65swb45 replied that should be direct shift only. I hope that is the case. That will eliminate one cause.

Cause of what?

Cause of the front drive not functioning. Everything I found talked about a vacuum system for engaging it.

Should be as simple as pulling the lever back towards you.

That's the problem. It seems the TC shifts into 4WD but the fronts are working. It goes into lo range though.

Lots of interpretation required here. Maybe take a bit more care with your posts before people lose interest. You will get the answer here better than anywhere else I'm aware of.

I'm sorry Chris but I'm not sure what you mean about "interpretation" and "take a bit more care with your posts." Can you explain them?

I'm sorry Chris but I'm not sure what you mean about "interpretation" and "take a bit more care with your posts." Can you explain them?
Why don't you post a picture of your transmission and transfer case, making sure to get the shift levers and/or any mechanisms that are attached to the transfer case. My suggestion would be to have a buddy put it in and out of 4wd while you watch to see the transfer case linkages working.

Free wheel hubs in

What everyone is trying to say is the more details regarding your ride you provide, the better things can be diagnosed.
My FJ40 is a 1977 North America model.
Engagement of 4x4 is all mechanical linkage, no vacuum. If mine were not engaging 4x4 I would check the shifter linkage, the locking hubs, verify the driveshaft was turning, stuff like that. Worse case a gear inside the transfer case is toast best case linkage is off. Somewhere in between is broken locking hub, front ring gear, etc.
You stated that it goes into low. If you are driving in low then it tells me the drive train is all working. If only hi range 4x4 is bad I guess it could be a problem in the transfer case or linkage. Just a guess.

Thank you JAFO. I've determined that it is all mechanical engagement. The reason I am/was confused is it doesn't have locking hubs and each side (in the front) looks different. One side looks like it could be a hub of some sort for 4WD but the other side looks like a plain old 2WD hub. Therefore, I was wondering how the hubs are supposed to work. Enter the vacuum thing. I will look a little harder at the linkage tomorrow and try to verify that things are moving as they should. As far as the Hi/Lo range thing, the fronts don't seem to engage on either range. (if that means anything) Am I correct in assuming that if the front driveshaft doesn't turn then it's a TC problem? And if it does turn, it's either a pumpkin or hub problem? I think I'm going to name this rig "Morph" as in morphodite because who knows what it really is.

Post photos a picture is worth a thousand words

Hello,

If I understand correctly, your truck is a 1979. The transfer case is vacuum-actuated instead of mechanical. It was not used in that model year.

It might be possible that some time along the way a creative mechanic replaced the transfer case with an older model one, vacuum-actuated. Quite likely a crude hack, and it gave up the ghost.

South America spec Cruisers had free running hubs from 1980 on. The same (or another) mechanic may have changed the original hubs with the ones you have.

Just a possibility.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom