winch recovery newb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting together my FJ40, and want to have it set up for winching and recovery.
Due to the power steering gear - I think the only winch that will fit is a Warn 8274. Expensive, but based on what I've read so far ... it's a great piece of equipment.
I'm looking at the front bumper, and I want a couple of shackle mounts. My bumper is pre-drilled with 4 holes, but it doesn't look like the right place (see first pic). The right spot (based on my limited knowledge) looks like the spot where the bumper and frame come together (second pic).
Please give me some help on this...
Also - should the mounts be welded or bolted on?
On the back - it seems people really like the pintle hook for recovery. Do you really need shackles on the back bumper?
-Thanks!!

bumper1.jpg

On the front, you have that 10,000 pound hook. That's a good recovery point. Replace the one on the other side and you'll have 2. That's plenty.

The rear will need recovery points unless you can always come out forward. Pintle thing is OK, but then you have to put a pintle back there.

In the end, you'll likely want a rear bumper and that will have recovery points. I have this one and it's been excelllent:

4PlusProducts | FJ40 | Tire Carriers | Rear Tow Bumper with Tire and Cooler Carrier

On the front, you have that 10,000 pound hook. That's a good recovery point. Replace the one on the other side and you'll have 2. That's plenty.

The rear will need recovery points unless you can always come out forward. Pintle thing is OK, but then you have to put a pintle back there.

In the end, you'll likely want a rear bumper and that will have recovery points. I have this one and it's been excelllent:

4PlusProducts | FJ40 | Tire Carriers | Rear Tow Bumper with Tire and Cooler Carrier

Thanks for the info drew. I like that bumper - just isn’t cheap.

I like my 15 ton pintle from Northern Tool on the rear personally. Also you can find good deals on 8274s on Craigslist, nobody ever said you had to buy new.

I think the only winch that will fit is a Warn 8274. Expensive, but based on what I've read so far ... it's a great piece of equipment.

Like @subzali says, by an old one and rebuild it. You can get them for a few hundred dollars, rebuild it, and still have less in it than a new planetary winch. And have a winch that is far stronger and faster than a planetary winch.

I like that bumper - just isn’t cheap.

No, but it is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom