clutch on h55 acting strange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i’ve had a new h55 behind my 1hdt for about two years and it’s been smooth and has run great. recently it’s felt like the clutch is slipping (and it is intermittent) for just a moment while i’m starting out and then catches hard. once the clutch has engaged it doesn’t slip, i have loads of power and it shifts smoothly. it doesn’t do it as i’m changing gears. it’s just as i’m letting the clutch out in first. like i said it’s only a moment as in the clutch pedal isnt all the way out yet. it’s just not a smooth start and it’s worse when i’m giving it a little more throttle. just letting the clutch out without throttle it doesn’t do it. anyone have ideas of why this is happening? is there something i need to adjust?

leaking main seal putting a bit of oil into your clutch?

Is there free play both at the pedal and at the clutch slave cylinder? You don't want clutch parts under any tension when the clutch is out (engaged).

One thing to check, although I am not sure it would cause exactly what you are say.. pull out the fill plug on the side of the transmission and see if it's over serviced. Be ready to catch the oil, and let it all come out till it's level with the plug.
My H55f, and transfer case used to more oil from the transfer case into the transmission. I had rough or tough shifts until I found it.
I run an equalizing hose now.

yes free play is fine. i don’t have any oil spots under my truck. doesn’t mean i don’t have a leaky main seal i guess but i’d think there’d be some oil if that were the case. and wouldn’t that cause constant slipping?

If the new clutch disc was replaced 2 years ago when the transmission was installed and it worked smoothly then - but it's not now, it sounds like (by your description) that the disc has been contaminated with oil. Or if too much grease was applied to the input shaft splines during assembly- grease.

Chances are high that the only real fix will be to replace the clutch disc, but that will only fix the symptom of the underlying problem- clutch contamination... and it will happen again.

Clutch discs for the cruiser can last a loooong time. Mine lasted 200,000 miles & wasn't even 1/2 worn down. That being the case - I say give your disc a bit of a workout to try to burn the contaminates off. No real harm in trying, because if it doesn't work, the disc will have to be replaced anyway.

Starting from a dead stop to get rolling is the hardest on the clutch. That's why you feel it then.

But there's an underlying cause to the contamination. Once the clutch is removed- take a look around for where the oil is migrating from.

Or just ignore it

cheers. that has been my thought but i’ve never worked on a clutch so i thought maybe there was something that could be an easy fix. it’s not bad enough to drop the tranny yet and yes when that happens it’ll be replacement time and i’ll do all the seals too.

If there is a seal leak, it may came more likely from the transmission output shaft seal, not the main seal. Well, I don't say it is not the main seal, but, for me, the transmission output shaft seal was the culprit when my clutch have been contaminates with gear oil.

I delay to fix it... and I should'nt ! I tought ... a +/- 6 hours job to change a 12$ seal ... now I know ! ... I should'nt !

Last edited:
Have you checked the fluid reservoir for the clutch master cylinder? I’d at least flush and bleed.

BTW I don't know if you can adjust the name of the thread .. since this seems to me a clutch related issue instead of tranny issue ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom