Starting the engine with AC ON....causes issue? (1 Viewer)

Starting the engine with AC ON....causes issue?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am wondering if the myth of my childhood for keeping the AC turned on once the car starts will cause any issue to the truck or not!!!!!!

the reason i am asking because i would like to start the truck remotely and have the AC cools off the car before entering.. Good or bad idea?

Millions of people leave their AC on all the time. No problem.

Someone smarter than me can chime in though, in case I’m wrong.

In my 2000, the AC compressor doesn't actually engage until a few seconds after the car starts, then it takes a few more seconds for the fan to kick on.

This may have been the case back in the day when AC compressors were switched on manually and would stay engaged when the car was turned off. Our automatic systems eliminate the need for turning it off.

I'm really not sure why, but I've always turned the AC off just before shutting the engine off and I always turn it on a few minutes after turning on the engine.

I remember my father telling me I should always do this. I always tell my GF to do the same, although I never knew the exact reason for this. Maybe its because its better to have as less a load as possible on the engine before a quick warm-up so the oil can circulate a bit? I dont know.

IF it used to be an issue i would say its not anymore. Most modern vechicles have automatic climate control units and they decide when the ac is activated and when it isn't.

I'm really not sure why, but I've always turned the AC off just before shutting the engine off and I always turn it on a few minutes after turning on the engine.

I remember my father telling me I should always do this. I always tell my GF to do the same, although I never knew the exact reason for this. Maybe its because its better to have as less a load as possible on the engine before a quick warm-up so the oil can circulate a bit? I dont know.
see my post above. exactly this, in older cars the A/C clutch was manually engaged/disengaged by turning a knob or flipping a switch. Leaving it engaged would put extra load on the engine during startup. This is not the case with our automatic A/C clutches.

I remember my father telling me I should always do this.
Is there any chance that your father would also make you sit there in the car, doors closed and windows up (because he doesn't want to let in any more hot air), no matter hot hot and humid, sticking to the burning hot vinyl seats until he decided that the engine was warmed up enough to finally leave the driveway but not turn on the AC until the car had a chance to move for awhile? Must be all those years he spent driving a tank in SE Asia.

I'm scared to post any tech for this discussion because of the jinx factor, but I have never had any AC problems besides needing the rare recharge in any of the 6 AC-equipped vehicles I've owned since 1991. Now, I still always turn it off at the end of a drive out of habit, but I'd have to agree that the AC kinks are pretty much worked out of vehicles now.

When i leave my truck in AUTO it would wait until the engine is sufficiently warmed up before the climate comes on. I leave it in this state 99% of the time.

Is there any chance that your father would also make you sit there in the car, doors closed and windows up (because he doesn't want to let in any more hot air), no matter hot hot and humid, sticking to the burning hot vinyl seats until he decided that the engine was warmed up enough to finally leave the driveway but not turn on the AC until the car had a chance to move for awhile? Must be all those years he spent driving a tank in SE Asia.

Lol. Sorry, no, just you my friend.

Turning off the A/C before turning off the car allows the evaporator to 'warm up' above the dew point. No condensation, no water, no mold, no foul smell from the air vents. This also means you have to turn off the A/C a minute or two before arriving at your destination and turning off the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom