Power upgrade Group 31 install and Optima content (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing to keep in mind when using the marine terminal connections is that the positive terminal is not covered. If you get in a rollover or a accident, and the terminal makes contact with the hood such as if the hood buckles or the front clip buckles and pushes the battery up into the hood, it could start a fire. A terminal cover gives just a little extra protection.

Least of my concerns if my truck rolls I hope it does burns.

Last edited:
Least of my concerns if my truck rolls and I hope it does burns.
Well some people may be concerned, some may not. But something to keep in mind, especially if you get in a accident and have passengers with you, or if you have a fat chick that you really like that sits on the hood.

Last edited:
Well some people may be concerned, some may not. But something to keep in mind, especially if you get in a accident and have passengers with you. Unless you really hate your passengers.

Have you seen the factory set up..how do people sleep?

Im not sure what your getting at by that statement. I think the factory setup gives way for the battery to really move around a lot during a accident being that its a plastic mount.

Sorry weak sarcasm as I feel the factory mount has more potential problems, why my battery is mounted the way it is.
Im confused you feel the battery is meant to move around? With the off road use many 80 see's I would not be comfortable with that.:eek: Ever factory FZJ battery hold down I have seen is metal that span the width of the battery with the potential of shorting if it every hold down comes loose, again something Im not comfortable with. What factory plastic mount do you have?

Reactions: JAW
^ I think you are both agreeing that the factory fiberglass setup is not particularly secure.

So, the concern raised is that it can move in an accident and allow the + of the battery to more readily short against the hood etc - hence the thought of adding a boot/cover on the + terminal...

cheers,
george.

Sorry weak sarcasm as I feel the factory mount has more potential problems, why my battery is mounted the way it is.
Im confused you feel the battery is meant to move around? With the off road use many 80 see's I would not be comfortable with that.:eek: Ever factory FZJ battery hold down I have seen is metal that span the width of the battery with the potential of shorting if it every hold down comes loose, again something Im not comfortable with. What factory plastic mount do you have?

I think my statement was a bit vague. I meant to say that while their are benefits to using a battery with marine terminals, that one should keep in mind that in a accident, the marine terminals don't have a cover like most factory oem batteries do using standard vehicle type terminals with the + covered. Basically just a generic warning statement similar to saying that a bigger suspension lift may make a vehicle more tippy etc. Not that a lift kit is all bad, it has some goods and bads, and using a marine battery is the same way I think. I just said it because perhaps if others are thinking of using marine batteries to keep in mind such things. Im currently using a marine battery in my rig, and have used them in previous rigs as well personally, and in a roll I realize their is more chance of a fire if the hood is dented. But if my wife drove my rig, I might consider not using a marine battery personally.

^ I think you are both agreeing that the factory fiberglass setup is not particularly secure.

So, the concern raised is that it can move in an accident and allow the + of the battery to more readily short against the hood etc - hence the thought of adding a boot/cover on the + terminal...

cheers,
george.

Yea thats what I meant.:beer:

cheers,
george.

Im good with the box once the hold down was upgraded as it will not tear and loosen like the factory set up.

How did you mount the bottom of your battery hold downs when you change from the factory set up to front to back tie down ? Did you use the the kit that has J hocks ?

How did you mount the bottom of your battery hold downs when you change from the factory set up to front to back tie down ? Did you use the the kit that has J hocks ?

Did not use the hardware that came with the top bracket. Used L hooks with large fender washers then up from the bottom of the factory box.

I've got 3 of these batteries on my boat (massive stereo)... they change via a NoCo Genius charger and live outside all winter with no use during that time. They've been in there for three years now and, when I looked at them on Monday, that bank (I also have a starting battery that's not in this bank) was resting at 12.9V. Pretty good for batteries that get abused (regularly run down to about 11.5V) and live outside all winter long.

I think you'll be very happy with them. They're made by East Penn who also makes Dekka. I bought at Sams because of that "if you're not satisfied" thing...

I've got 3 of these batteries on my boat (massive stereo)... they change via a NoCo Genius charger and live outside all winter with no use during that time. They've been in there for three years now and, when I looked at them on Monday, that bank (I also have a starting battery that's not in this bank) was resting at 12.9V. Pretty good for batteries that get abused (regularly run down to about 11.5V) and live outside all winter long.

I think you'll be very happy with them. They're made by East Penn who also makes Dekka. I bought at Sams because of that "if you're not satisfied" thing...
I wouldnt assume the resting voltage is indicative of battery quality

Did not use the hardware that came with the top bracket. Used L hooks with large fender washers.
then up from the bottom of the factory box.

Phil, can you tell us what your hold down L hooks are attached to at the bottom, on each side? I don't see anything to hook into other than the plastic battery box. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom