Shipping a drained used fuel tank? who will ship? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys and gals. Anyone shipped a gas used drained gas tank lately? I need a California tank sent to New Jersey. The seller and me the buyer are not exactly sure how to make this happen legally. Any ideas or experiences or information are helpful. thank you.

Not by air. It may trigger sensors in cargo hold

Id be looking into fastenal or greyhound once it was cleaned and aired out as best as possible. I ordered two rusty POS tanks from cruiserparts.net and returned them both and that was through UPS on their end and mine with return label as well. Might be an option.

I got one from Georgia to Northern Wisconsin via UPS. No issues. It was bone dry with no odor though (at least that I could smell, I am not a smell hound though ;)).

Thanks fellas. I appreciate it. I'm smell blind myself. ...

I've shipped used motorcycle tanks using UPS without telling them what was in there.

I rinsed the tank really well with water and dish soap. let dry until I was sure it was dry.

Fogged it with WD-40, wrapped it in several layers of trash bags and shipped it in a double wall box.

I've never shipped a 25 gallon tank though. haha.

Run a hose from your tailpipe into it. The exhaust will kill any volatile gas left over. It's inert after that.

Run a hose from your tailpipe into it. The exhaust will kill any volatile gas left over. It's inert after that.

Yep, done it many times but, it should be done with a diesel engine not a petrol version, 10 minutes and job done.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Grab a bottle of Mean Green degreaser at your local Family Dollar. Pour Half or more in tank, add two gallons or so of water and slosh around and drain and dry. This will eliminate any smell/fumes you may have unless you have a rusty tank with lots of sediment. If sediment, remove sediment first then Mean Green. Then ship your vapor-free tank whoever is the cheapest.

I shipped a tank via UPS ground years ago, no issue.

My way to kill volatiles was to buy a gallon of alcohol (isopropyl? - whatever is sold next to acetone in the paint section at Ace)
- I added half, sloshed it & drained into my oil catchpan. Repeated.

I planned to rinse with water if needed, but just dried it with the discharge off my shop vac. Had faint smell, but not the "flashing gas" smell, just that old odor like stale 2-stroke gas.

I was in a hurry, so why I did the $10 of alcohol - plus we could burn yard waste back then, so I had some fuel.

Did the same to my boat gas-tank then flooded/water when I had to weld on it.
Vacuum discharge is great to use as a air mover, no chance of overpressure a vessel.

I had a tank shipped via Old Dominion from the Atlanta area to Kansas City. The guy I bought the tank from took his time (I was NOT in a hurry), he drained the fuel, rinsed a couple times with isopropyl alcohol and drained, then let it sit outside in the sun for 3 days. Then he taped off ALL the openings, stretch wrapped the livin' sheet out of it, strapped it to a pallet along with some other stuff I bought from him and shipped it. Cost me about $150 in shipping for that skid of parts total. Was well worth it.

I had it shipped from a business address to a business address, so it made it less "noticeable". (no residential)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom