Driving 86 BJ70 Long Distance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I get out of the Army at the end of the month and I'm deciding on whether to get a Uhaul with a dolly or just make the slow trek from California to Michigan. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this and whether or not it's a good idea to put that much stress on a old BJ70. My LC is mechanically sound and I wouldn't worry about it breaking down along the way. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Aw, Hell....Drive it! I drove a BJ75 from New Jersey to California last Fall, and it was a blast. If you're not worried about it breaking down (and no reason to be if you've taken proper care of it), it'll make it. My only advice would be to take your time and stay off the Interstates as much as is possible. A BJ70 would be a stress-inducing handful at 80mph (assuming it would even do it). Find the two-lane roads. Stop at a few diners along the way. Enjoy some local attractions. Do some fishing (or take some photos, or whatever you like to do). Oh, and you have AAA, right? :cheers:

Just take it easy. A 70 series can bump itself off the road , 60 mph on a good road would be about its safe limits. Give it an oil and filter change and make sure the battery wont let you down.
They are hard to stop if maintained

If you have the time then definitely drive the 70 series. Use the money saved on the uhaul to pay for food, lodging, and some fun activities along the way. If I had the time I would drive to California just to drive my 70 series back.

PS. Good to here that there will soon be another 70 series in Michigan.

@peterb ...... "How is the seat foam?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would add are you "over 5' tall and prone to leg cramping?"

I have a 1986 BJ70 and have done month long trips and never worried about it. I drove from Boulder, CO through Utah, across Nevada, over to the central coast of CA up to Tahoe, up Eastern Oregon, through Idaho, into Wyoming and back down northern CO this summer.

A month before that from Boulder, to Flagstaff, AZ to NM down to El Paso through Big Bend, over to San Antonio and Austin, then across LA, up MS, across TN, into AR, OK, the panhandle of TX, back through NM and then up Southern CO.

I drove from Boulder to Asheville, NC and back last fall. I just drove from Boulder to Central Texas, and frequently drive from CO to CA. I have plans to drive to Prudhoe Bay, AK starting in May.

My point being you shouldn’t have any issues! Be happy cruising at 55mph, get a seat cushion and you’re golden.

I agree with doing an oil and filter change before you go and maybe a fuel filter too if you haven’t done that in a while.

regulary doeing 1000mile drives across Europe in my LJ.

I leave the seat on lock (if u have the shock absorber variant), so its higher. thats less cramps on your legs.

constant steering correction makes it more tiring then driving any regular car.

nevertheless, gets you across, albeit slow (90-100km on dash).

good sound sistem helps and decent lights are a must. and you are good to go...:)

I have a 1986 BJ70 and have done month long trips and never worried about it. I drove from Boulder, CO through Utah, across Nevada, over to the central coast of CA up to Tahoe, up Eastern Oregon, through Idaho, into Wyoming and back down northern CO this summer.

A month before that from Boulder, to Flagstaff, AZ to NM down to El Paso through Big Bend, over to San Antonio and Austin, then across LA, up MS, across TN, into AR, OK, the panhandle of TX, back through NM and then up Southern CO.

I drove from Boulder to Asheville, NC and back last fall. I just drove from Boulder to Central Texas, and frequently drive from CO to CA. I have plans to drive to Prudhoe Bay, AK starting in May.

My point being you shouldn’t have any issues! Be happy cruising at 55mph, get a seat cushion and you’re golden.

I agree with doing an oil and filter change before you go and maybe a fuel filter too if you haven’t done that in a while.
Let me know when you head up this way. We want to drive up to Inuvit this summer if we can swing it. I plan on needing a minimum of 8 days round trip from Anchorage. Would be cool if we could coordinate.

Drove the BJ-70 I had all over the state, drove it from Vancouver to Winnepeg to Anchorage when I first bought it. Drove my present HJ-75 from southern Georgia to Anchorage when I bought it.

But that HJ75 was a fire breathing, speed demon. :)

I would add are you "over 5' tall and prone to leg cramping?"

FWIW there is a fair bit more legroom in a cdn LHD 70 than its RHD equivalent. But that's still funny :D

And that truck will happily travel faster than 55 mph.... as long as there's no hills involved!

Aw, Hell....Drive it! I drove a BJ75 from New Jersey to California last Fall, and it was a blast. If you're not worried about it breaking down (and no reason to be if you've taken proper care of it), it'll make it. My only advice would be to take your time and stay off the Interstates as much as is possible. A BJ70 would be a stress-inducing handful at 80mph (assuming it would even do it). Find the two-lane roads. Stop at a few diners along the way. Enjoy some local attractions. Do some fishing (or take some photos, or whatever you like to do). Oh, and you have AAA, right? :cheers:
Thank you for the advice and I would rather take my time anyways.

If you have the time then definitely drive the 70 series. Use the money saved on the uhaul to pay for food, lodging, and some fun activities along the way. If I had the time I would drive to California just to drive my 70 series back.

PS. Good to here that there will soon be another 70 series in Michigan.
Are you from Michigan and if so do you know of any LC groups around the Upper Peninsula?

The vast numbers of folks gawking and waving makes any trip good even on interstates.
Not to mention how many times you'll hear "cool Jeep".

I drove a PZJ70 from Los Angeles California to San Antonio Texas all the way down I-10. It didn't break down. Realized later that the IP has a leak but yet the motor still seemed to perform well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom