Search is over ... 2001 MSO LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG
View attachment 1658301
IMG_6842.JPG
I've been looking for a low mileage 100 series since July of last year. I've needed a bigger vehicle with hauling capability, and could not stand the styling of most newer SUVs other than the ones that have terrible reliability reputations or cost an arm and a leg to repair. For me, the 100 series keeps the great 80 series styling but adds more comfort and safety features. My search was generally limited to a 2001 because it was the last year without navigation, and I prefer the console lines of the dash without navigation. I also wanted the color to be grey. The only problem is that the LX470 does have a true grey color for 2001. Instead, it has the mystic sea opalescent (MSO) which is gray with a khaki green undertone. It looks different at different times of the day -- gray in direct sunlight, and pale greenish in indirect light.

So, I looked at a lot of 01 LX470's over the months using searchtempest to check craigslist postings across the country. I looked at everything that came up locally, which wasn't much. A few had rust issues and a few were driven hard and put up wet.

I found one in Idaho with 114K miles in "9.5 out of 10 condition." I had pictures taken of the undercarriage and confirmed here that there was no rust. I had a PPI done which revealed the R&P steering might be leaking, and possible issues with the front CV axles. Based on that I cut a deal, and arranged to have it shipped 1700 miles. This was the first time I had ever bought a vehicle sight unseen, and the pictures I had weren't the best.

The vehicle was picked up on a Friday and delivered on a Tuesday afternoon. I was really pleased with the way the vehicle looked. It was very clean. Still, I've got a lot to do. The first thing is replacing the head unit. I also need to check the battery / throttle/ MAF to see why it sometimes takes 2 or 3 cranks for the engine to turnover when starting. It drives great so I don't know if the steering/cv issues need to be addressed immediately.

So far, I'm really pleased. I've subscribed to this forum for several months and read many of the posts here to get familiar with the vehicle and it's been a huge help. So, thanks to everyone who has put so much time into your posts, and allow me to welcome myself to the club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom