New 100 Series Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After about 2 years of searching for the “perfect” land cruiser I found one about 2 months ago. Stumbled across a 1999 land cruiser craigslist ad, and purchased the following weekend. Mine only has 164k miles and all maintenance was done one time and reported to Carfax. Southern, 1 family owned cruiser.

I come from a Jeep heritage, with my grandad starting the tradition. I ventured to the Toyota for unparalleled reliability, safety, and road mannerisms. So far, I am more than impressed with the land cruiser.

I’ve been creating a baseline for maintenance. Here’s what I’ve done so far, if you have any suggestions please let me know. I’m not a mechanical genius, but I have a shop and the tools.

-Timing belt was changed at 91k
-Water pump changed at 91k

All other oil changes, tire rotations, etc are noted on Carfax up until 155k miles. I purchased the cruiser with 161k miles.

-Oil and oil filter change at 162k miles (amsoil synthetic)
-spark plugs 162k Miles
-tires rotated 162k miles
- air filter 162k Miles

My sunroof does not slide or tilt, but the motor sounds like it’s working, maybe off track? Can someone point me in a right direction?

I used Quadratech for all of my Jeep accessories, what’s a comparable website for the land cruiser?

12247F95-EF3A-4210-AA4C-97A15A9CC1F2.jpeg

@drobertson No worries. I look forward to reading about your build!

Maybe you could list out your use for the truck and what you want and others will chime on on the best mods for your needs!

double post deleted

I too had 15 years of jeep ownership across multiple wranglers, i dont think there is a quadratec equivalent. It is more of a cottage industry of enthusiast and you pay a premium for that. the first time i saw a bumper costing over a grand instead of $200 it was a shock but in a way i think it keeps our rigs more functional. When i owned jeeps it was easy to buy a couple hundred dollar piece just because. Now when its expensive i better make damn sure i need or will use that piece :)

Nice LC. I had to fix my sunroof last year since it was stuck open. If the motor's running freely but it's not moving then either the cables are broken or the drive gear is stripped. You can inspect the motor & gear by removing the front dome light assembly (one screw under the hinged door, then pull hard) and then removing the motor drive assembly you'll find behind it.

Odds are, though, that the cables broke after being seized up by old, hardened lube. To fix them you'll need to remove the whole sunroof assembly (what I did) which means pulling most of the interior panels and headliner, not a difficult job but one that many folks don't want to bother with. You'll need a large flat work surface, get replacement cables (not sure of cost), and degrease, clean, re-grease the tracks, and reinstall.

For me the hardest part was cleaning the old cables which are like long grooved worms, but if you're replacing them then it's just a lot of interior panel removal and being sure not to f-up the headliner when it's free. Keep your hands clean and have a clean place to store it while it's out. I can offer more specific insight if you decide to go for it. Summers coming!

Nice LC. I had to fix my sunroof last year since it was stuck open. If the motor's running freely but it's not moving then either the cables are broken or the drive gear is stripped. You can inspect the motor & gear by removing the front dome light assembly (one screw under the hinged door, then pull hard) and then removing the motor drive assembly you'll find behind it.

Odds are, though, that the cables broke after being seized up by old, hardened lube. To fix them you'll need to remove the whole sunroof assembly (what I did) which means pulling most of the interior panels and headliner, not a difficult job but one that many folks don't want to bother with. You'll need a large flat work surface, get replacement cables (not sure of cost), and degrease, clean, re-grease the tracks, and reinstall.

For me the hardest part was cleaning the old cables which are like long grooved worms, but if you're replacing them then it's just a lot of interior panel removal and being sure not to f-up the headliner when it's free. Keep your hands clean and have a clean place to store it while it's out. I can offer more specific insight if you decide to go for it. Summers coming!

I will definitely check the motor and gear this weekend. I appreciate the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom