Hood supports (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, My last set of hood supports on my 1991 lasted 2 years. Any recommendations ? Thanks, Mike

Toyota replacement parts?

Change to the custom lift struts from McMaster Carr?

Go to the El Cheapo's and replace every 2 years. (Amazon)

Old Hockey Stick?

I purchased the strong arm supports from amazon. No problems.

The strong arms are what failed, made in USA. Mike

I will be watching this thread. I've been bashed in the head too many times recently.

Bought some $20 Amazon crappers, they are rusting in southern CA after 1 year. Interested in a better alternative...

Bought some $20 Amazon crappers, they are rusting in southern CA after 1 year. Interested in a better alternative...
Which ones did you get? Mine were about $45 for the pair from Amazon. The :princess: bought them for the truck. It’s all about proper training :meh::moon:

Worn out original struts from 1993 assist in lifting. Hood is held in place by a hood support rod/ stick sourced from a corolla.

Which ones did you get? Mine were about $45 for the pair from Amazon. The :princess: bought them for the truck. It’s all about proper training :meh::moon:
IDK...no name brand with an Eagle on the website. Literally $20 and the exposed chrome/metal is rusted for no reason other than cheap/crappy metal. Still lift like champs though...

You could go with a factory prop rod system found on non US market Land Cruisers, It fits and works great.
53451-60010
Genuine Toyota

Hood Prop Rod 91-97 80 series. Manual Upgrade
91-97 80 series non U.S. hood prop. Sick of the hood falling down on you? Don't want to spend to money on new hood struts? This is the perfect low cost solution that doesn't wear out! Many years of...

Last edited:
was switching out the supports both in the hood and the rear lift gate. i ordered a set of all 4 from amazon from a brand called 'maxpow'. the packaging looks very similar to strong arm from what i've seen online, but not sure. it was $52 for all 4.

anyway, installed the rear with no problem but have a question about removing the hood supports. i used a 12mm wrench to remove the top bolt and it is stripped. is there a way to remove the arm from that ball joint/screw? that way i can try to get it out with a socket wrench? has this happened to anyone else?

How has no one said to go with OEM yet?

What is happening to this forum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom