I Bought This 2002 LX 470 for $7900 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
superoil.com
So, thanks to all of your advice, I wound up buying a one owner, clean Carfax 2002 LX 470 w/187000 miles (timing belt and water pump replaced at 90,821 miles) for $7800 (including tax, title and license fees).

Everything seems to work with the exception of some issues around the multi-CD changer, DVD and Navigation system. It also has a couple of dings on the body. But ZERO RUST. It's a Texas truck that according to the Carfax report has spent it's entire life in Texas.

I'll probably wind up either replacing the passenger side running board or just removing the running boards altogether.

The passenger door has a little damage so I may or may not wind up addressing that. It's not really that noticeable.

Any recommendations for LX 470 parts will be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, thanks so much for all of your advice.

00F0F_bkl2L71TZgL_1200x900.jpg

00a0a_6SFUrpZKNaO_1200x900.jpg

00k0k_6wk8q4CS8Zn_600x450.jpg

00606_81EQf4zL3H_1200x900.jpg

00606_cBRP9Jb9yG4_1200x900.jpg

Congrats on the new ride. Just ditch the running boards. They look way better without them.

Congrats on the new ride! I have an LC around the same Miles and price about two months ago. I didn’t have a “perfect” service record so I decided to do some preventive maintenance - I had the timing belt/water pump/pulleys kit done, heater T’s and spark plugs. The guys at the shop said the water pump actually looked pretty good (mystery as to when it was done) but the plugs and T’s were probably due regardless. I feel great about it now so I’m ready for another 200k!

Good luck on your projects and build!

So, thanks to all of your advice, I wound up buying a one owner, clean Carfax 2002 LX 470 w/187000 miles (timing belt and water pump replaced at 90,821 miles) for $7800 (including tax, title and license fees).

Everything seems to work with the exception of some issues around the multi-CD changer, DVD and Navigation system. It also has a couple of dings on the body. But ZERO RUST. It's a Texas truck that according to the Carfax report has spent it's entire life in Texas.

Great deal. Yesterday I offered $10500 for a 2004 LX470 with 186K miles - basically similar to your deal but they countered $12500. I'll have to wait and see. This one had a really dim Nav screen and I figured it would take a lot of money or a lot of work to fix.

Be sure and go register on drivers.lexus.com with your VIN and get all the Service Records for your LX.

Great deal. Yesterday I offered $10500 for a 2004 LX470 with 186K miles - basically similar to your deal but they countered $12500. I'll have to wait and see. This one had a really dim Nav screen and I figured it would take a lot of money or a lot of work to fix.

Be sure and go register on drivers.lexus.com with your VIN and get all the Service Records for your LX.

Thanks for the advice on registering with Lexus.com, I'm going to do that right now!

Per cwmoser's advice I registered on driver.lexus.com and pulled the service records.

It looks like the previous owner had EVERYTHING that was ever an issue with the truck addressed by a Lexus dealership, even to the point of buying tires there.

The last service reported performed at Lexus was less than 2,000 miles ago.

All things considered, it seems as though I may have gotten a pretty good deal.

Glad to see you were able to pick up a nice LX, I think you will be really happy with it. Just Pull those running boards , it will look way better without them

It's due for the timing belt service again. Also, check out ebay you can get a replacement steering wheel there.

radiator looks a bit dodgy. keep an eye on it. Also, check the heater t's. I was looking at my buddys lx470. 05 with 160k miles. the heater T's were done with a capital D. looked like they would fail in the parking lot. Check em!

^^^^THIS^^^^ ALWAYS replace the Heater T's on any LandCruiser/LX no matter what. The part of the t's that's potentially failing is NOT visible. The ends that the hoses clamp to are where they fail. The center part almost always looks black and fresh. Mine did. Once I pulled the hoses off, different story. They were brown and crumbling. Had they failed, I would have been up poop creek without a paddle....or more likely, a blown motor. Do not underestimate the carnage that a $20 part can cause. Simple fix and assured insurance against an extremely costly repair.

Agree with @tacoduck as well on the radiator. Keep an eye on that. Easy replacement and can be done for under $300.

Aside from those things, baseline all fluids (coolant, AHC, oil, differentials, transfer case, power steering and brake) and then drive it like you stole it. You got a good deal on a white LX (I'm a BIG fan and owner of a '98).

IMG_0359.JPG

Heater Ts immediately. I had my TB/WP done but they didn't look at the Ts. A week later the hot T started leaking enough coolant to leave a pool. A light tug on the hose and the T crumbled. 221K miles on them. Replaced with the stainless steel version from Amazon.

nice score!

Ordered a pair of aluminum heater Ts from Amazon.

Hopefully they'll get here in time for me to change them out on Wednesday before I go back to work.

Radiator was replaced at Lexus Dealer at 177859 miles according to service history.

Great! My radiator burst on the way to Austin on Saturday. New one going in now, but being so far from home I'm paying a ton in labor for a job I could do myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom