Parts to install 4 speed transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Couple weeks ago i finished a knuckle rebuild on my 68 fj. First time I've ever done anything like that.
Next project is to install a 4 speed transmission, transfer case etc. My brother-in-law who knows what he is doing is coming to oversee/direct/ the project. I want to make sure I have what I need as he is traveling a distance to come and assist me. I've included a picture of what I have. Also included a picture of the fj. My question is what else would I need beyond what is pictured to do the switch.
I have a 350 chevy engine in the fj now with the original 3 speed and transfer case.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_3209.jpg
FJ without top.JPG

Put a new seal in the front of the trans.

Very first rookie mistake I ever made.

Knowing the combo has been behind a V8, I’d definitely take a look inside the t-case before installing it.

You'll probably need a longer e-brake and speedo cables. Add a bell housing dust shield and new rubber mounts for the propeller mount to the list, too.

Put a new seal in the front of the trans.

Very first rookie mistake I ever made.

Knowing the combo has been behind a V8, I’d definitely take a look inside the t-case before installing it.
My brother-in-law would know what to look for but let me ask anyways. What would I see inside the t-case that would show me there is trouble?

You'll probably need a longer e-brake and speedo cables. Add a bell housing dust shield and new rubber mounts for the propeller mount to the list, too.

I got my stock three speed hand cable to work when I installed a four speed behind the F engine.

How do you know the drivelines are the right length for your V8 conversion?

I got my stock three speed hand cable to work when I installed a four speed behind the F engine.
Once I'm into the project I will check to see if my cable will be the right length.
How do you know the drivelines are the right length for your V8 conversion?
I don't know for sure that they are the right length yet. I have been told that adjustments in the length are a good possibility.

My brother-in-law would know what to look for but let me ask anyways. What would I see inside the t-case that would show me there is trouble?

Beyond the cursory look for obvious damage, slide the shift collar into low range and look at how far down the teeth on the high speed gear and the output shaft have worn.

Then note the amount of freeplay between the Lo speed gear, shift collar and output shaft by holding one end and rotating the other. Then shift back to high and do the same. It’s going to be quite a bit more.

Then imagine that backlash happening EVERY TIME you get on the gas and off the gas. Multiplied by V8 torque.

Beyond the cursory look for obvious damage, slide the shift collar into low range and look at how far down the teeth on the high speed gear and the output shaft have worn.

Then note the amount of freeplay between the Lo speed gear, shift collar and output shaft by holding one end and rotating the other. Then shift back to high and do the same. It’s going to be quite a bit more.

Then imagine that backlash happening EVERY TIME you get on the gas and off the gas. Multiplied by V8 torque.

I'll give it a try and see what I find. Thanks

Brother-in-law asked me to check on the spline count on the 3 speed to be sure what we have to replace is the same. From my reading I think the original 3 speed should have a 10 spline count. Is that correct?

Yes, 16 spline for the 4 - speed. Exception is early 1974 4-speed to 3 speed t-case with 16 spline t-case input gear.

Okay. I think. Let me clarify. The 4 speed transmission I have to put in has a shaft on the front that is a 10 spline shaft. So I'm expecting that the 3 speed I'm taking out has a 10 spline shaft on the front so the swap should be fine. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom