Time to swap out the AHC :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, my AHC has finally reached the critical point where replacement is staring me in the face. Recently ran "heavy" in Big Bend and found the AHC unable to raise into H mode. It held in N mode without issue. However, what I've been noticing lately is that the front is "bouncy" and on big dips, the tires hit the fender liner hard. It's as if there is very little compression dampening and/or the TBs are simply worn out. Additionally, it's riding "rough" on the crappy roads here in Austin (rebound and compression dampening seem off). Wife says she feels a little carsick when she rides in the truck now because she feels all the little vibrations from road imperfections (only started doing this over the past few months). Plus, I get pronounced "dive" when braking hard and bit more "roll" when turning...even on the Sport setting. I've got the pressures in spec and get 9 grads on the reservoir and recently flushed the AHC for a 2nd time since purchase last March (flushed fluid was black on the first flush back in August and reddish on the recent flush in February with no foam). I was looking at the upper shock bushings this weekend and ALL are grey and showing significant cracking. I think those bushings are shot (they look baaaaad IMHO). Additionally, I noticed that the "boots" on the UCA ball joints on both sides are split open as well. I'm thinking at minimum I need to replace the shocks (showing signs of weeping as well) and the UCA ball joints (top and bottom to make sure everything is addressed). Considering the TBs and rear springs are now 20 years old, I should replace those as well. Given those things (costs) AND that I'll be ordering a rear bumper and winch before HIH, I figure it's time to make the jump to conventional.

Now to decide between IronMan ProFoam or the ToughDog Foam setups along with new UCAs.

Gary,

I had the same sensation in my AHC front end, where it bounces over bumps and dives with braking. What solved the problem for me was replacing the globes on all four corners with OEM ebay finds. Now considering your armor I'd probably follow your intuition and change it out to a standard shock setup. Hell you'll get the space back in the engine bay for a dual battery set up.

Cheers and good luck

@geanes, what do you mean run "Heavy"? I refurb'd my AHC last year with new globes/rear springs/trim packer as I thought I was going to stay stock. Now I have sliders and i'm considering @benc aluminum 3 piece skids. I'm all in AHC now since spending all the money to fix it. How do you think the my AHC will do assuming 4 people, no 3rd row seat installed, spare/gas on the hitch, food/drinks for a few days in a cooler or two and some recovery gear?

Well, my AHC has finally reached the critical point where replacement is staring me in the face. Recently ran "heavy" in Big Bend and found the AHC unable to raise into H mode. It held in N mode without issue. However, what I've been noticing lately is that the front is "bouncy" and on big dips, the tires hit the fender liner hard. It's as if there is very little compression dampening and/or the TBs are simply worn out. Additionally, it's riding "rough" on the crappy roads here in Austin (rebound and compression dampening seem off). Wife says she feels a little carsick when she rides in the truck now because she feels all the little vibrations from road imperfections (only started doing this over the past few months). Plus, I get pronounced "dive" when braking hard and bit more "roll" when turning...even on the Sport setting. I've got the pressures in spec and get 9 grads on the reservoir and recently flushed the AHC for a 2nd time since purchase last March (flushed fluid was black on the first flush back in August and reddish on the recent flush in February with no foam). I was looking at the upper shock bushings this weekend and ALL are grey and showing significant cracking. I think those bushings are shot (they look baaaaad IMHO). Additionally, I noticed that the "boots" on the UCA ball joints on both sides are split open as well. I'm thinking at minimum I need to replace the shocks (showing signs of weeping as well) and the UCA ball joints (top and bottom to make sure everything is addressed). Considering the TBs and rear springs are now 20 years old, I should replace those as well. Given those things (costs) AND that I'll be ordering a rear bumper and winch before HIH, I figure it's time to make the jump to conventional.

Now to decide between IronMan ProFoam or the ToughDog Foam setups along with new UCAs.
check out what @bryce0011 has for sale in parts for sale.

@geanes, what do you mean run "Heavy"? I refurb'd my AHC last year with new globes/rear springs/trim packer as I thought I was going to stay stock. Now I have sliders and i'm considering @benc aluminum 3 piece skids. I'm all in AHC now since spending all the money to fix it. How do you think the my AHC will do assuming 4 people, no 3rd row seat installed, spare/gas on the hitch, food/drinks for a few days in a cooler or two and some recovery gear?

You’ll probably be fine. I have an Ironman Bullbar on the front, sliders, Gamiviti roof rack, fully loaded drawer system and a full sized 33” spare. I removed my third row, but will be ordering a rear bumper and the dissent skid plates. By heavy, I mean all the above (minus skid plates and rear bumper) + 2nd full sized spare, camera equipment, 100qt loaded cooler, 36qt loaded cooler, tent, clothes, 10 gallons of extra fuel in jerry cans and 200 lbs of sand bags (to anchor tripods). That was the heaviest my rig has ever been. She definitely balked at my request for High.

I'm not too far behind you. Did the flush twice as well and added new rear OEM springs and spacers. I had about 7.5 graduations on the reservoir with some foamy discharge on the rear. The ride improved from where it was previously, but I need new accumulators IMO. I'm planning to eventually get the real mods going and I think dump the AHC.

Interested to hear what setup you go with.

To do over again I would have considered Tough dog had it been readily available at the time.

The adjustble rears are a nice option. And I think the foamcell technology between ironman and TD are similar.

Not sure of the cost of new globes and then all new fluid, but money may be better spent ripping that ahc out and putting conventional suspension in.

(Weight management Tip: carry a shovel & empty sand bags and fill at your campsite with dirt-rocks what ever you can find.)

@geanes It sounds like you need new globes (and new UBJ as well as a front end bushing refresh, but that's not AHC specific). That's a relatively easy fix. Sounds like you could use some King springs in the rear as well for all the stuff you have planned, though you did say your pressures were within spec. For reference, my LX has an Ironman front bumper, Dissent rack, OPOR sliders, TJM skids and carries a family of five, full cargo area including 2 scepter cans of water, an RTIC 65 and one jerry can of gas, and a fully loaded rack (large cargo bag, recovery gear, 4 Seahorse cases, Maxtrax, shovel etc.). My AHC/Kings has no trouble with it.

I know the forum knee-jerk reaction is to rip out AHC whenever trouble is encountered, but it really is a robust system that has a lot more features than even the most advanced ($$$$) conventional setup. The cost savings is a bit overblown also, when comparing apples (AHC) to almost-maybe-a-crab-apple-possibly (fully-adjustable, remote-reservoir shocks + springs/bars):

AHC:
King Springs KTRS-79: ~$150
(4) New Citroen Globes, in your choice of damping: ~$750 - $850 (depending on source)
Non-AHC Torsion Bars (if required): ~Free from someone in an LC who swapped in OMEs

Conventional:
(4) Icon Stage 3 remote-res, adjustable shocks: $2,600
OME 2865 springs: ~ $170
OME 303001 t-bars: ~$295

@geanes
I know the forum knee-jerk reaction is to rip out AHC whenever trouble is encountered, but it really is a robust system that has a lot more features than even the most advanced ($$$$) conventional setup. The cost savings is a bit overblown also, when comparing apples (AHC) to almost-maybe-a-crab-apple-possibly (fully-adjustable, remote-reservoir shocks + springs/bars):

AHC:

(4) New Citroen Globes, in your choice of damping: ~$750 - $850 (depending on source)
Non-AHC Torsion Bars (if required): ~Free from someone in an LC who swapped in OMEs

This was my exact thought process as a new LX owner until i started reading more. $750 for globes, $100 for rear air bags, and $100 for fluid, was much cheaper then any foam cell kit and diff drop. So im riding out the AHC for now after a new fluid swap and when it gets bothersome will do globes. Also a globe job and flush is a couple hours at a relaxed pace as opposed to a full removal and replace witch is a weekend job to do right.

Can I have your old parts? :) (Seriously)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom