Something aint right... only drives with CDL on. Grinding when off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

So saturday night I go to leave a parking lot, and all I get is a grinding noise with no connection at all. My friend who is also an FJ80 owner says try the CDL and sure enough the car drives like normal. We make it home, I park it and start doing research.
I havent lifted it to see whats what with axles and drive shafts but I imagine if the driveshaft broke it would be hanging.

I searched a bit but didnt see anything specific to my issue. Either way I'll update the thread as I work it out.

It's an old, abused 92 that I bought cheap with hopes of bringing back to life. 300k miles, already flushed all the fluids and little things.

Thanks for any info.
-Dave

The drive flanges connect on the front axel connect the birfs (axel shafts) to the wheels. its somewhat common for the flanges to get stripped out so the birfs just spin inside of the flanges, making the grinding sound, while not providing power to the front wheels.

Pop the metal caps off the drive plates, unlock the CDL, have a buddy hold the brake put the trans in gear and accelerate, look at the ends of the axles, the one that is spinning in the drive plate is the bad one. Warning, in this condition, with the CDL unlocked, park will not hold, the rig could move anytime the brakes are not applied.

1992 IIRC are the thin flanges, prior to the thicker (stronger) on the 93?

Regards

Dave
The thin flanges continued until 95 or so. Long enough for the first ones to strip and Mr. T to update them.

The thin flanges continued until 95 or so. Long enough for the first ones to strip and Mr. T to update them.

IIRC, the change was early in '94 production. Aftermarket (my guess joint Fuji, good stuff) can be had at a good price from Cruiser Outfitters. The later flange can be run with the early birf for full spline engagement, but need to retain it with a bolt and big washer.

IIRC, the change was early in '94 production. Aftermarket (my guess joint Fuji, good stuff) can be had at a good price from Cruiser Outfitters. The later flange can be run with the early birf for full spline engagement, but need to retain it with a bolt and big washer.
The quote below is from Slee off road.
  • The thickness of the drive plates on the front hubs were increased after April 1994 (build date). The new drive flange number is 43421-60040 and the old one is 43421-60022. If you try to install an earlier birfield into a later truck, you will not be able to install the circlip on the end of the axle shaft.

The quote below is from Slee off road.
  • The thickness of the drive plates on the front hubs were increased after April 1994 (build date). The new drive flange number is 43421-60040 and the old one is 43421-60022. If you try to install an earlier birfield into a later truck, you will not be able to install the circlip on the end of the axle shaft.

First off thanks to all that replied, It's greatly appreciated.

and it looks like this is the upgraded one I'll grab for both sides.

Front Axle Outer Shaft Flange For 80 Series 90-97 [43421-60040] - $55.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

or maybe @cruiserdan can set me up when I have the full parts list.

I'm having a friend who works at a San Diego cruiser shop take a look when he has time. Money is not flowing at this time so I'll be patient.

Thanks again,
David

My parts cleats went in the trophy case 2 years ago, after 37 years behind the counter. I now hang out at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum.

First off thanks to all that replied, It's greatly appreciated.

and it looks like this is the upgraded one I'll grab for both sides.

Front Axle Outer Shaft Flange For 80 Series 90-97 [43421-60040] - $55.99 : CruiserParts.net, Toyota Landcruiser Parts

or maybe @cruiserdan can set me up when I have the full parts list.

I'm having a friend who works at a San Diego cruiser shop take a look when he has time. Money is not flowing at this time so I'll be patient.

Thanks again,
David

I would use Cruiser Outfitters way ahead of Cruiser Parts. The correct/early ones are $24.50 in aftermarket, here; Cruiser Outfitters about 1/2 way down the page. If that is the problem, it's possible/likely that the birf splines also have wear, how much needs to be determined by removing the drive plate and inspecting.

Depending on what you see and the intended use, the aftermarket flange should get you on the road. If the spline wear is high or the use includes wheeling/big tires, likely will want to replace the birfs and flanges with the later type, at some point.

I would use Cruiser Outfitters way ahead of Cruiser Parts. The correct/early ones are $24.50 in aftermarket, here; Cruiser Outfitters about 1/2 way down the page. If that is the problem, it's possible/likely that the birf splines also have wear, how much needs to be determined by removing the drive plate and inspecting.

Depending on what you see and the intended use, the aftermarket flange should get you on the road. If the spline wear is high or the use includes wheeling/big tires, likely will want to replace the birfs and flanges with the later type, at some point.

Hey, I appreciate the advice and will likely use it. Any other info is always welcome.
-David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom