Does this Throttle Body Thing Matter If left off? Throttle Body Exchange Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I recently got an entire throttle body from a junkyard that was from a 02' Sequoia. Everything looks the same as my 98 LX470 throttle body, except for this metal screw in pipe (as pictured) that is in addition to the regular body. Can you guys tell me if I can just go ahead and unscrew that, and be on my way? Do I have to do anything special or will it adversely impact performance of the throttle body/ engine?

For those wondering why I replaced the entire throttle body: I was experiencing engine speed hunting that was causing the revs to jump from 700 - 2000 rpm in an almost pulse like fashion consistently, so after a bit of narrowing down I believe it is throttle body. Ended up cheaper to get one off of a salvage title car than to attempt and fork over cash to the stealership.

Looking forward to your guidance and comments, thanks in advance!

IMG_5741-1.png

IMG_5742.jpeg

IMG_5743.jpeg

IMG_5744.jpeg

If you can hook up all your vacuum hoses without it, loose it but plug if off.

Seems I read somewhere Mr T changed throttle body for 2000. Also more issue with 98-99 throttle body than 01-02 (IDK on 00). Will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

If it was me, I'd set-up the older you're going to use, to same configuration as your taking off. If no screw on tee water pipe on yours, then take off and put yours on. Your water hose configuration should then work without altering.

The RPM pulsing could be the throttle position sensor.

Seems I read somewhere Mr T changed throttle body for 2000. Also more issue with 98-99 throttle body than 01-02 (IDK on 00). Will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

Yes I am going to do just that and see how it works out; I don't think it should be too much of an issue, it seems as though it wouldn't be too bad if I remove the pipe. I'll keep everyone updated. This is going on after work today.

If it was me, I'd set-up the older you're going to use, to same configuration as your taking off. If no screw on tee water pipe on yours, then take off and put yours on. Your water hose configuration should then work without altering.

I'll unscrew the pipe and hope for the best! Going on this evening so I will take photos and update everyone.

The RPM pulsing could be the throttle position sensor.

Ive got about 376K miles on the LX, and the previous owner has seemingly put a newer TPS sensor on it. I was assuming that it was the IACV or the magnetic clutch, so I needed a "good unit" plus this one I pulled from the junkyard would cost me less than buying a new TPS or any of the other components.

When using parts, stay with OEM, are you sure you have an OEM TPS? I think the TPS is about $80 at Camelback toyota. Since you already bought the throttle body, let us know how it did.

When using parts, stay with OEM, are you sure you have an OEM TPS? I think the TPS is about $80 at Camelback toyota. Since you already bought the throttle body, let us know how it did.

Yes agreed; though ironically I told myself "don't through parts at it" I snagged this entire throttle body for $75; I pulled it off of a 02 Sequoia with only 150K miles, was rear ended pretty bad so complete loss. The engine bay looked to be in great shape and the interior was well kept, so I am hoping that this will do the trick.

Totally agreed with you on the OEM; I have a 4Runner as well, so I have had some first hand experience with OEM vs. aftermarket cheapo parts under the hood. Always stick to OEM (in most situations).

I'll unscrew the pipe and hope for the best! Going on this evening so I will take photos and update everyone.
I'd use some FIPG sealer on water pipe connector threads. The correct 1282B FIPG is pricy so just see if hold with any seal rated for coolant. It will be easy fix in future if need be.

1282B is coolant rated FIPG. 102 is oil rated FIPG. (Form In Place Gasket)
001 (3).JPG

Hey All,

Just a quick update- I ended up installing the throttle body with no issues; everything is running as good as new! Thank you all for the input. I ended up just unscrewing the extra piece and calling it a day. This is a swap that is definitely a great alternative if you are considering the costs at the dealer.

I did the Valve cover gaskets as well, passenger side went off without a hitch, but the driver's side is experience some leakage at the front bottom corner, so I am going to have to tear it back down and get it on again.

Nice it worked out. But, I keep and eye out for one from Jan 00 - june 2002 just in case. The older ones gears/motor were known to fail more often.

Good call, thank you for the heads up. I will make sure to keep an eye on that as I scour for other parts, its always good to have an extra handy. I think that I will keep my original one in my trunk parts bucket incase I get into some trouble on the side of the road; I can easily swap out all of the electronic bits fairly easily if it comes down to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom