Adding Air Conditioning to a 3B Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey VT, looks like you have a lot of experience with putting on AC on a 3B. Can you see if my assumptions in the post above are correct? Can you post any pictures of your set up? Thanks, K
Hello KevsDiesel...looking at your post of FEB...I'm planning to install on my BJ40 (B engine)...a Air conditioner (bought the Vintage set) and Power steering (bought the saginaw conversion kit).....I already have the 3 pulley set (original) but Im still looking for a solution for the brackets (AC and PS)......almost all are made to fit the FJ not the diesel BJ. The picture of the bracket in this thread look very nice......Any news regarding the blueprints or dimensions ?? any help will appreciate.......thanks in advance ....greatings from Panama !!!

Hey Luis, sorry, no man. I have not continued on that project for a while and have not heard from anyone about the CAD files for the brackets unfortunately. Good luck!

Hey Luis, sorry, no man. I have not continued on that project for a while and have not heard from anyone about the CAD files for the brackets unfortunately. Good luck!
After a couple of hours in the internet !!!!

After a several hours in the internet , I found the PDF file of the blueprints for the bracket... but I do not know how to post a file in here....I will try to send it to you by PM

After a couple of hours in the internet !!!!

After a several hours in the internet , I found the PDF file of the blueprints for the bracket... but I do not know how to post a file in here....I will try to send it to you by PM
Wow, that's awesome. I'll send you my email in a PM!

That's a nice alternative to the OEM bracket & idler pulley. Thanks for posting it up.

Hey Montie, let's hope that he's alright and just busy and maybe he'll get back to us at some point.

Regarding AC: Have you figured out what all the components of the project are? I haven't done all the research but I am thinking
  • manufacture bracket for compressor
  • buy compressor and install it on the bracket
  • buy 3rd pulley and install it on the drive shank
  • buy and install belt (how to figure out which one?)
  • buy AC condenser
  • install condenser (where does it go?)
  • hook up wiring from dash (need to look into that - mine used to be an FJ60 with an AC so my dash has the right controls)
  • run hoses (where do I get these hoses?)
Am I forgetting anything?
Hey KevsDieselLC, Did you ever find the CAD drawing for the 3B AC bracket? CanCrusher never responded to me did you have any luck?

Just back to Mud after an extended hiatus, sorry to have neglected enquiries. For some reason I haven’t received any notifications until this last effort by AWhelen.

I sold the last of the extra brackets I had made almost right away. Although I thought I had saved my CAD files on a CD it seems to have disappeared! A change in computers has resulted in the loss of my original drawings.

The drawings posted by Montie appear to be a much improved modification on the dimensioned drawing that I had located on the internet and used for my brackets. The addition of the belt tensioner is far more sophisticated than the brace that I used. Having said that the brace has never been problematic.

It would appear that this is meant to mount directly on the face of the bosses on the front of the block. That was the source of a slight alignment issue. The solution was to cut the “arms”, overlap them by 1” to move the compressor forward by the thickness of the 3/8 plate and bring it closer to the block.

Because I don’t have my original drawings at hand I can’t say if Montie’s drawings have taken into account the alignment issue.

Hope this isn’t too late to be a help. I will try to be more diligent watching posts. I had actually thrown an ad up for my Cruise late last Fall but as the weather turned and our winter travel plans came into action I even failed to check on the ad (truthfully, I am torn about selling the old girl....my wife says we are “joined at the hip”).

Just though I would add this AC crank shaft pulley is still available.
5DCC3D9B-9375-4FA5-98C7-3F7A14D6F4E6.jpeg

Im looking at putting ac in my bj70 with a 3b ive heard from various people that even the non ac models have all the wiring tucked away in the dash for the new controls and anmplfier

Can anyone confirm this?

Also what are people using for a tensioner as i think the original part is discontinued.

Just back to Mud after an extended hiatus, sorry to have neglected enquiries. For some reason I haven’t received any notifications until this last effort by AWhelen.

I sold the last of the extra brackets I had made almost right away. Although I thought I had saved my CAD files on a CD it seems to have disappeared! A change in computers has resulted in the loss of my original drawings.

The drawings posted by Montie appear to be a much improved modification on the dimensioned drawing that I had located on the internet and used for my brackets. The addition of the belt tensioner is far more sophisticated than the brace that I used. Having said that the brace has never been problematic.

It would appear that this is meant to mount directly on the face of the bosses on the front of the block. That was the source of a slight alignment issue. The solution was to cut the “arms”, overlap them by 1” to move the compressor forward by the thickness of the 3/8 plate and bring it closer to the block.

Because I don’t have my original drawings at hand I can’t say if Montie’s drawings have taken into account the alignment issue.

Hope this isn’t too late to be a help. I will try to be more diligent watching posts. I had actually thrown an ad up for my Cruise late last Fall but as the weather turned and our winter travel plans came into action I even failed to check on the ad (truthfully, I am torn about selling the old girl....my wife says we are “joined at the hip”).

Thanks for the info. I'm building a mount for a second alternator, so I should be able to get all the dimensions i need from Montie's drawing.

FYI: if you have an earlier B-series engine, you may not have the correct crank pulley. The later style crank pulley had 6-threaded holes for bolting up accessory pulleys (ie. power steering, compressor, etc.)

3B transplant

My transplant of a 3B into an FJ chassis gave me the opportunity to add AC to my 60 series. I found dimensioned drawings for the bracket as shown on the internet. Worked up a CAD file and had brackets laser cut.

The drive pulley is from a 3B with AC (acquired from 4Wheel Auto in Edmonton), it fits between the existing pulleys in place of the spacer you will find there. There is an idler pulley much the same as the PS idler that fits on the right side of the block but I didn't have any luck locating one so I simply ran a brace to one of the top bolts on the compressor (sorry, not installed in the picture).

A standard automotive V-Belt (15450) worked for the drive. An alignment issue arose during the install, if you are considering this option I can expand in more detail.

Also note that if you have an FJ chassis as I did then you have to change the AC amplifier to one from a diesel system in order to get the clutch to engage. AC amplifier for diesel does not have the idle adjustment screw on the top.

View attachment 499844

View attachment 499843
View attachment 499843View attachment 499844

Would be willing to share that CAD drawing. I have a 83 BJ60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom