'91 Prado speedo cable (instrument cluster) removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey gang. In recent weeks my speedo cable has been making some pretty irritating squeaking noises. I know it should be fairly straight forward to get in there and either fix or replace the culprit but I haven't been into the dash at all yet. Anybody have some brilliant insight into my situation?? Thanks in advance.

From memory, Remove couple screws then useing a flat 12" steel ruler gently pryz the front speedo face off. Held in place with pop out clips.
Dash Prado.png

Taggin' along. I may be looking to open mine up to replace a bulb or two.
Just got into it. It turned out to be real easy. There are 6 screws that hold the instrument cluster shroud on. 4 are in plain sight the other two are tucked up above where your gauges are.(the 2 bigger ones, the three smaller ones don't need to be removed). With a bit of wiggling and witchcraft the whole panel will come free. Be careful not to pull to hard as there are loads of lights and plugs you have to unplug.

*note, you may have to use one hand to feed slack from the speedo cable to be able to move it far enough out so that you can unplug it.

Hope you have as much luck as I did. I also opened up my fan and holy moly it was dirty. Glad I'll be breathing fresh air from now on. Haha

I also had speedo cable noise. I took the gauge cluster out as you described, and I very carefully oiled the cable. It was tough to get the oil to actually run into the sheath and it did take some time. Speedo has been dead silent since I did that about a year or more ago. I'm sorry, I forget what sort of oil I used. Might just have been a straight 30 weight or something like that. Maybe the 3 in 1 type oil....

I also had speedo cable noise. I took the gauge cluster out as you described, and I very carefully oiled the cable. It was tough to get the oil to actually run into the sheath and it did take some time. Speedo has been dead silent since I did that about a year or more ago. I'm sorry, I forget what sort of oil I used. Might just have been a straight 30 weight or something like that. Maybe the 3 in 1 type oil....
Glad to hear you had success. im going to just oil te heck out of it. white lithium grease is a great idea too, it doesnt get hard or freeze. ive had issues with no speedo when it gets really cold. hopfully all will be solved.

Glad to hear you had success. im going to just oil te heck out of it. white lithium grease is a great idea too, it doesnt get hard or freeze. ive had issues with no speedo when it gets really cold. hopfully all will be solved.

I think I tried the lithium grease first, but could not get it to run down into the sheath. Need something runnier than that. It is the ideal stuff though, you're right.

Glad you got in there Masface!

For others about to do it @JimmyPrado, After you loosen up all the nuts (I think 6 Phillips head),
You are going to pull the gauge casing (#55404C in the diagram above) almost vertically up,
not out (or you risk breaking some plastic). Not super hard up and out, because the wires are short, but definitely more upward, than pulling towards your chest. That is really only the tricky part.
At least that is the way it is on the 1989 Prado. Alot may have changed in the next two years as always seems to be the case
whenever I chime in.

And just technique, when removing the meter casing, remove the wires & plugs first and speedo cable last.
Installing, speedo cable first, other connections last. Not really much room back there.

Last edited:
Pictured are (2) vertically oriented metal braces that insert into the 1989 meter housing,
Undo the 2 screws that fasten the housing here and it is easy to visualize why you need to pull up.

B9373AA3-D549-4217-883C-594586138673.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom