Leather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i used the last of my Wilsons Leather Lotion today and I am looking to see what you guys are using.
I am open to suggestions, I have used McQuires and Armor All and I like the Wilsons better.
So what are you guys using on your leather seats?

I use a mix of Kenotek Leather Conditioner, Einszett Leather conditioner, Optimum leather conditioner or Leatherique. Depends on which bottle is easier to grab as my detailing arsenal is pretty big haha.

Leatherique conditioner is used twice a year and the others are used weekly.

I use a mix of Kenotek Leather Conditioner, Einszett Leather conditioner, Optimum leather conditioner or Leatherique. Depends on which bottle is easier to grab as my detailing arsenal is pretty big haha.

Leatherique conditioner is used twice a year and the others are used weekly.

I get that, grab whats in reach.
Where did you buy these? Amazon?

I always thought Lexus leather was top coated with polyurethane coating. Assuming that’s correct, isn’t using leather care products a waste? Any mild soap and water should be fine. Right?

bpe3

I always thought Lexus leather was top coated with polyurethane coating. Assuming that’s correct, isn’t using leather care products a waste? Any mild soap and water should be fine. Right?

bpe3

Exactly what I was wondering! When I read on another thread that real leather in our cruisers is only used on the middle part of the seats, and even the side cushion is already covered with vinyl, as well as the elbow rests and console top, why even bother!?

Furthermore, the few parts that are made of leather are covered with that plasticky coating that prevents you from ever actually feeling or touching the real leather, so essentially the whole thing is vinyl. I think when people treat their seats with all kinds of fancy expensive leather cleaners, they're convincing themselves of the placebo effect.

The only seat "cleaner" I would think would work is one that renders that polyurethane coating away and exposes the supple leather underneath.

Until I got my cruiser, I thought leather seats were the epitome of luxury in cars. Now, unless a car has some different type of leather which is just tanned like your leather belt would be, and not covered with coatings, and if the entire seat isn't leather, I might as well get vinyl.

Leather cleaners/conditioners do still have an effect on coated leather. Coated leather still wears and cracks same as raw leather.

Granted, leather conditioners may not have the night and day difference as they would on uncoated leather but continual use of conditioners over time does keep coated leather in better shape than it would fair without any sort of treatment.

Apparently you guys have not seen any of the early 100's for sale out there. The seats are all toast.
Your paint has a clear coat over it so why wax the truck?

The leather in my 1997 Discovery was pristine because I took care of it, even 20yrs old it was near showroom condition.

I'll keep caring for my leather seats.

Scored some replacement seats today!!

See all of there cracking? Not the rips or tears where the seams came apart, but the cracking in the leather. That is from lack of care.

It is best to condition your leather after it has been sitting in the sun, the leather pores open up when they get hot and the conditioner soaks in better.
I condition my seats several times a year and have tried different products.
I am going to look into the things that @Hokie LX suggested.

I think when people treat their seats with all kinds of fancy expensive leather cleaners, they're convincing themselves of the placebo effect.

I’m going to address part of this as I feel it’s helpful for the community to elaborate on some of the advantages of the higher end products.

I’ve detailed cars (real detailing, not washes/waxes) for ~8-9 years now as a hobby turned side job. In my experience, having tried probably ~20-30 various interior cleaners/conditioners from both cheap and high end retailers, the more expensive cleaners/conditioners may have added benefits over just raw cleaning power when compared to your standard Lexol (or the like) product. Things that maybe only some people care about. Such as how it leaves the surface finish, surface feel, odor and ability to lift deeper stains like sunscreen or dark bluejean stains. They also can have less harmful products for more delicate/high end leather to prevent damaging/discoloring it.

For instance, in my opinion, leatherique conditioner works wonders when used properly and allowed to work as intended. Much better than any standard conditioner, however it’s time consuming to apply and usually necessitates a hot day to open up the leather pores sufficiently.

Some stains I’ve run into on seats won’t even budge with the cheaper cleaners and takes some of the higher end ones to remove along with different techniques.

My point is that higher end cleaners/conditioners have their place and apppication but have benefits that not everyone may realize or care about. For the average car guy, the OTC cleaners will suit their needs just fine! I use cheaper leather cleaners if I can just to save costs on detailing jobs. However, I usually stick to nicer conditioners as I’m very picky about how they leave the surface finish/texture.

Personally, when I first did my leather cleaning on my LX after buying it, I tackled it with Einszett Deep Plastic cleaner because it provided the cleaning power needed to remove the embedded grime.

I too use Einszett for dirty leather followed by Leather Masters three stage system. It worked wonders on my S4s Nappa leather & assume it will for the relative junk Toyota put into these things on the line.

I’m going to address part of this as I feel it’s helpful for the community to elaborate on some of the advantages of the higher end products.

I’ve detailed cars (real detailing, not washes/waxes) for ~8-9 years now as a hobby turned side job. In my experience, having tried probably ~20-30 various interior cleaners/conditioners from both cheap and high end retailers, the more expensive cleaners/conditioners may have added benefits over just raw cleaning power when compared to your standard Lexol (or the like) product. Things that maybe only some people care about. Such as how it leaves the surface finish, surface feel, odor and ability to lift deeper stains like sunscreen or dark bluejean stains. They also can have less harmful products for more delicate/high end leather to prevent damaging/discoloring it.

For instance, in my opinion, leatherique conditioner works wonders when used properly and allowed to work as intended. Much better than any standard conditioner, however it’s time consuming to apply and usually necessitates a hot day to open up the leather pores sufficiently.

Some stains I’ve run into on seats won’t even budge with the cheaper cleaners and takes some of the higher end ones to remove along with different techniques.

My point is that higher end cleaners/conditioners have their place and apppication but have benefits that not everyone may realize or care about. For the average car guy, the OTC cleaners will suit their needs just fine! I use cheaper leather cleaners if I can just to save costs on detailing jobs. However, I usually stick to nicer conditioners as I’m very picky about how they leave the surface finish/texture.

Personally, when I first did my leather cleaning on my LX after buying it, I tackled it with Einszett Deep Plastic cleaner because it provided the cleaning power needed to remove the embedded grime.

Thank you for that, I really appriciate it.
From the sounds of it the standard middle of the road stuff will continue to work just fine for me.
Thanks again, I appriciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom