Battery Light - After long periods of sitting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey everyone, I searched and didn't see any definitive information here.

I have a 99 4runner that I have not been driving much. Sometimes it sits for a week or more...even then it might only be 20 minutes that I drive it. This has been the last 18 months.

This last few weeks it's been down in the 40's at night. I noticed the last few times I started it, the battery light would come on. A few weeks ago I drove it about 20 minutes on the highway and during that drive it turned off.

Battery is also within 1 year old.

I finally got around to testing the battery today after I started it...Battery was low. Current to the battery was not at 13+V when the truck was on either. I put on the trickle charger and then took the truck for a drive for 30 minutes once the battery was charged. Came home and tested the battery while truck was on and it was at the 13+V it needed to be at.

Do you think from the long periods of sitting that has something to do with my issue or is this a sign of the alternator going out?

Thanks everyone!!!!

Sitting for more than a week or so can be hard on the battery. There are many things in modern vehicles that drain power even when the vehicle is off. You can disconnect the battery when it is sitting to help the battery last a bit longer or even better, get a charger/maintainer. If it charges up properly when driving the alternator is probably fine.

Sitting for more than a week or so can be hard on the battery. There are many things in modern vehicles that drain power even when the vehicle is off. You can disconnect the battery when it is sitting to help the battery last a bit longer or even better, get a charger/maintainer. If it charges up properly when driving the alternator is probably fine.

Hey, thank you! I was thinking it was something along these lines...Just noticed it last few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom