Driver side rear brake grinding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife reported a metal on metal sound coming from the brakes while driving that gets even louder when braking. I discovered it’s the rear driver side brakes. I removed the tire and it looks like the brake pad is pressed up against the rotor. Unfortunately, I don’t know how visually diagnose these things as I’ve never done brake.

Coming to the mud fam to see if there is an easy fix and to get general feedback and what’s going on.

You've already diagnosed it. IF you can't see any brake pad material left...then you are already 'metal on metal' and that is the grinding sound you are hearing (metal brake pad backing against your rotor).

If the rotor isn't already scored....you can get a set of brake pads and change both sides (drivers and pass side rear brakes) NOW....before damage is done to the rotor....requiring turning it down or replacing it.

Replace the pads. Very easy to check if there's material left on the pads.

pad.JPG

Very easy job, dozens of youtubes on how to change brake pads.

I thought we would have heard the wear indicator?

Few questions:

1. Where are you guys buying your brake parts from online? Or is it best to buy oem from a dealership?

2. Do I replace pads on both sides?

3. If one rotor is toast, do I replace both sides?

1. I buy OEM pads online (discounted) and pick them up from a local Toyota dealership. If you look real hard you probably find one of your local dealerships selling discounted parts online or you can try to get them to match the online prices.

2. Always replace both sides of pads.

3. You can have rotors turned at local auto parts store if the grooves are not too deep. You can just replace a rotor on one side however it is more common to replace both sides at the same time.

The OEM rotors are a good option.

IF you end up replacing the rotors...it would be a good time to inspect your parking brake shoes and hardware, also adjust them.

And by all means look up the procedure to retract the parking brake shoes if replacing rear rotor, to be prepared for the chance the rear rotor cant be removed until you do so.

Thanks guys, I might give this a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897L49W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00897L43I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the pads I bought, they sell for $70 at Autozone.

I only replace rotors when they are to thin to be any good, I do not care if they are scored or not. But the rear rotors on these trucks are cheap and easy to replace if you want to.

You’re not an OEM parts guy? Well, for brakes at least. I’m curious how many others go with non OEM brake parts.

I replaced mine with Brembo's. They aren't expensive, you are assured of good quality and a long lasting product.

Lexus LX470 98-07 Rear Brake Rotors with Brake Pads Kit Brembo OEM | eBay

Did my parking brake components at the same time, new shoes and all new hardware.

Shouldn't have to do the rear brakes again for a good long while. 100 series (and 80 series) Land Cruiser's are not hard on rear brakes. The front brakes wear much faster.

Picked up some OEM pads.

Popped off the caliper and this is what I found:
B0D3A74E-0833-4AC0-BC55-8C713EB7C116.jpeg

Pads look okay right? They’re just pressed up against the rotor. Just a reminder that there is grinding even when not braking. Thoughts?

Alright, some updates.

I was wrong. The pad was completely gone. also, see the photo of the brake drum with the rotor off. That look normal?
C0F17CA0-2C32-45E2-A0F2-BB0F1FF73E66.jpeg
image.jpg

4D7DBEDF-040E-4543-A0F7-9D3258982BF6.jpeg

Pad wear like that could be from a frozen caliper guide pin or a bad caliper.
I'd lube up the guid pins and see what happens before replacing the calipers.

Thanks guys, I might give this a shot.

You’re not an OEM parts guy? Well, for brakes at least. I’m curious how many others go with non OEM brake parts.

Nope. Not even close. OEM is made by the lowest bidder. There are plenty of aftermarket parts out there that are better than OEM for less money. And not using OEM gives me the ability to buy within my price point.
Add to that my personal experience...OEM is only for when you cannot find a aftermarket brand part.
I am in transportation, have been for my entire adult life, transportation only uses OEM parts when under warranty.
That means 99% of the trucks you see on the road are racking up millions of miles with aftermarket parts.

My brake pads last me forever because I am easy on brakes, so a warranty is no good to me and at that price point I'll eat the cost if they wear out to soon.
Each to their own. It's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom