Horn contact seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CSteppe82

Legalize Cannabis
SILVER Star
Threads
I was finally able to scrounge together the right parts to make my horn functional. The only part I am missing is the horn contact seat . I have posted a want ad in the classifieds. eBay is a bust and SOR no longer has that part in stock.
It’s a 71
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I was finally able to scrounge together the right parts to make my horn functional. The only part I am missing is the horn contact seat . I have posted a want ad in the classifieds. eBay is a bust and SOR no longer has that part in stock

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks
I may have one. What year is it for?

Hmm:hmm:
Thebigredrocker Steppe :D

NFS but here’s what I believe fellow 71 owner csteppe82 needs.
F1AE02BA-8EA7-46B6-AD3E-EDDF9B43D5DB.jpeg

Hey thebigredrockersteppeson - isn’t there something that inserts into the spring that is the contact with the contact ring under the wheel? Or is it just the spring that makes contact?

Yes. I hadn’t “pulled it out” at picture time:hillbilly:

It’s a peice of metal with a groove that rides on the horn ring.

Edit: Mark’s Offroad has pointed out there was no factory groove in the pin, mine is just old:cheers:

Last edited:
33350EC8-FBB8-4818-9C69-3A65407657EF.png
The only piece I am missing is # 5

Thanks thebigredrocker. The one I have is missing the spring and grooved metal thingy. So I’ll be in the repair/mod mode when I get around to that part of the project. Roughly how long would you say the spring/metal thing is when uncompressed?

CSteepe82 - good luck with hunt. I was also missing the horn contact spring as well as the button. Picked up a useable button from John Pardi a bit ago and found a spring on eBay last week. The parts pop up every now and then. But of course everybody knows how rare they’re getting so what used to be a few $s nine years ago is now $$$$$. I bought the same stuff back then, all of it, for what it now costs for just one piece. And we’re talking the unrestored variants. Can’t even imagine paying what the restored stuff costs.

Yes. I hadn’t “pulled it out” at picture time:hillbilly:

It’s a peice of metal with a groove that rides on the horn ring.

Mark

When they’re new, they don’t have a groove in them.

I’ve seen a few guys in the last couple of years that said were going to try and make the spring/pin part, but I don’t think anyone has actually done it.

I have a batch of plates waiting for when someone does.

It took me two months just to find the parts I have. HaHa

Thrill of the hunt

I bought the horn brush for a 62. I read where it could be modified to fit since the brush for the 42 is NLA

Mark

When they’re new, they don’t have a groove in them.

I’ve seen a few guys in the last couple of years that said were going to try and make the spring/pin part, but I don’t think anyone has actually done it.

I have a batch of plates waiting for when someone does.

If your plates have the rubber insulator. :bounce: I had to whittle one out of a chunk of car tire:lol: Thanks for taking the time to share info about the pin groove not being factory spec:D

@middlecalf if someone doesn’t post a spring/pin measurement, holler and I’ll pull my steering wheel. No idea how worn my pin is, it does still function. What condition is your rubber insulator in? I posted a pic of my custom dremeled insulator.

Awesome on the find. I suppose someone ought to come up with a “John saved the day” bumper sticker for our rigs, if it already doesn’t exist lol.

thebigredrocker - my insulator will need replacing. I expect to hang out at all the hardware stores and online looking for something close that can be moded (aka dremeled) to fit. Same with spring. I’ll just mic the depth of the hole on mine and proceed from there, no need to get too specific since it’s spring-loaded. And there is always the button on the dash option for last resort, I have plenty of existing dash holes that could be used.:hillbilly:

4EC5F989-220F-437C-9E22-B31D6B797762.jpeg
EBC21717-1111-4FC1-A00B-27C3D0488317.jpeg
F4E731C0-C71D-4026-A7FF-37D37B77A340.jpeg
FI promise this will be my last horn question. I have a horn brush for a 62. Can I trim that one down to fit the 40?

Ih8horns

9B5C981A-7660-4AC8-9194-3A5D6B1196CE.jpeg

Not sure it matters but the small spring with contact tip was attached on my 71 contact plate. I think just the first coil of the spring was fed on the plate. Also, the contact tip was partially stuffed up in the spring if that makes sense:D. IOW, when I removed my contact plate the spring and the contact tip came out as one unit.

Looks like you found an OEM rubber insulator:cheers:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom