Starter stuck on ignition on our off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
good morning

I had a not so funny day Friday.

My starter decided to run continuously wether the ignition was on our of.

The symptoms. I had a intermittent no start which I attribute to bad contacts in the starter. In my infinite wisdom I got frustrated the other day and tried linking my dual battery set up. I started right up but the starters stayed running. I'm guessing over 1400 CC amps did a little welding in the starter.

The is part was my trans temp light and low oil light where on during this experience. The ignition switch is also getting a rebuild as it dose not play nice all the time.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Probably needs new starter contacts, 1 banana.

Regards

Dave

Agree, when they become excessively worn can stick. Do not run it that way, the armature can come apart, causing a direct to battery short, possible fire.

Yes, contacts sticking. Common issue with the design of the solenoid/contactors in the starter.

The contacts pit over time as the plunger contacts them. Small amounts of the copper vaporize and the contacts wear down and form ridges. Oxidization occurs on the contacts and slowly you end up with only small areas that can make contact. Then you end up with intermittent non starts that can be temperature dependent. Once contact is made all the current flows through a much smaller area (vs the entire contact patch) and the plunger can weld to the contacts. At that point the starter keeps running with/without the key in the on/start position.

Replace the contacts/plunger if you have the 1 banana skill or get a denso reman and replace the whole starter. Do this ^ before you cook starter/battery/wiring...

cheers,
george.

Hey guys I replaced the starter. With a denso starter. The one that came out was completely shorted.

My lesson learned is I should have been quicker on replacing the contacts. Pairing a duel battery system worked but welded the the starter internally so it would not shut of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom