HJ60 Rear wiper MYSTERY (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

goodtwin

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey, so I am finally back in the 60 series forum. After selling my FJ60 about 6 years ago, I decided to buy a 1985 BJ70 a while back and have found it to be a bit too small for me. Recently I found an HJ60 and I'm very pleased. It is a 1986 with a 5 speed and is turning out to be my dream vehicle.
In any event, everything is in really great condition except for one thing: the rear wiper motor. It didn't work when I bought it, so I took everything apart and found that the arbor that the wiper turns on, had seized and the the motor burned out in turn. So, I cleaned up the arbor and got it turning smoothly and took the motor apart and was able to get it working as well (out of the vehicle).
Here in lies my problem: as soon as I mount the motor and plug it into it's connector, the accessory function and glow relay come on (even with the key out). On top of that, the wiper motor will not run when installed and plugged in (even with the cruiser running or turned off). I assume that the switch must be fried and it must be on the same circuit as something else to cause the accessory function and glow relay to come on.
Any thoughts? Very strange wouldn't ya'll think? I'm stumped.

Did you meter the wiring to the motor to check for power?

I’m assuming this is fully reassembled on the vehicle? The motor working on the bench is quite different than installed pushing a wiper blade across glass...

Well, I pulled the positive leg off of my battery using an alligator clip jumper and grounded it to the cruiser by laying the unit on the bumper and it was working. That's actually how I "bench" tested it. Heh.

I DID take my voltage tester and check the connection back at the hatch with the wiper switch turned "ON". I couldn't get it to register in more than the thousandths or hundredths of a volt. So, I'm thinking it's the switch, but why would it make my accessory function come on?

Is your rear washer motor working ? it is on the same switch.

Wipers are originally connected to the IG switch.
Front wipers working fine ? They are on the same circuit.

Pull the 20 A wiper fuse and see what happens (or not).

Yep! Rear washer is working. So are the front wipers. When I pull the fuse, nothing happens. When I put the fuse back in, the accessory deal comes on and starts the glow cycle as well (even with the key out). It's so weird. Seems like a pretty straight HJ60 and there doesn't seem to be any weird PO wiring weirdness. I was gonna pull the Rear wiper switch out of my BJ70 and test it, but when I look up the part numbers, they're different. I bet they aren't cross compatible, so I doubt it will work.

Do you have this power outlet box besides the air filter?

rear washer non int..jpg

Do you have this diagram?

sved, I do NOT have those diagrams. I will use them to figure this out further. I just went out and after much fiddling, was able to test the switch by using my BJ70 switch. It worked with the BJ70 Switch (although they don't really fit as the BJ70 switch is horizontal and the 60 series is vertical). Anyways, I plugged the 60 series switch back in and now it all works again! I have no clue what was (is) going on, but now it all works. No smoke, sparks or weird gremlins. Anyways, maybe this will all be case closed and nothing will come back to haunt me.....

Strange and dangerous problem, I tried to get a rear intermitted wiper but maybe later when I am retired.
24v wiper relay for rear wiper 85940-26010
Anyway I would try a switch between the fuse, not park unattended with this happening, even when it is now okay.
I don't see (but not searching) how a wiper loom could interact with glowcycle, maybe chewed wiring somewhere?
a glowplug wiper :hmm: what type of glowsystem do you have, did some genius/idiot removed the original glowsystem and fiddled a manual glow button?
corrosion in the edic "computer"?

file.php

a light bulb in cab connected to busbar might show you if the fault comes back and handy anyway to see what is going on:
24v bulb, 11/13v = low glow cycle= afterglow:
file.php

Last edited:
Ohh yeah! That probably WOULD be a good idea. Just to make sure that the glow cycle doesn't come on while I'm driving someday and fry everything. Smart!

:cheers:I knew these cruisers are self-healing.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom