Best way to get RTT up on the roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm working on a version of a hitch mounted hoist that will handle a roof top tent. Kind of a niche item, does anyone think there will be interest and a good price point I should consider if I offer it for sale?

I'm working on a version of a hitch mounted hoist that will handle a roof top tent. Kind of a niche item, does anyone think there will be interest and a good price point I should consider if I offer it for sale?
I think there could be a lot of interest if you have a good design and reasonable price point. There was a local company that manufactures a hoist for jeep tops that looked at modifying it to accommodate RTT's but it would have required a complete redesign so they put it on the back burner and I don't anticipate them getting back to it. From my experience dealing with RTT customers I think a good product that would simplify mounting a tent for an individual would get a lot of interest.

@Box Rocket Thanks for the response. I finished the "prototype" last weekend. It's a big unit and will lift, just needs some tweaks. I need to tighten up the slack in the hitch area, tighten up the slack where the vertical rotating boom meets the hitch area, add some handle(s) to the unit, and add another pivot point on the boom so it can be mounted on the truck folded up, and then unfold (so it doesn't pull one way while trying to mount it on the truck. It will still likely require a ladder for tall SUV's to setup the boom and maintaining control of anything heavy lifted very high. But all in all, it should work out. I'm going to shoot for a price point around $200-250, plus shipping. Once I get it dialed in, have a chance to test it and some rigging, find a hand winch I really trust, I will be sure and share the info!

@Box Rocket Its not fully formed yet, but it works. With all the leverage, slack in the hitch, slack in the pivot point, and a little deflection in the vertical piece.... so I included some camber on one side of the base piece. I've made a couple of crude shim bushings to let it spin a little more freely if needed.... All that, and I need to find a hand winch I have a little more faith in, and I'd feel comfortable putting together a kit. Definitely not something to play under when the tent is 8' in the air.

IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG

@Box Rocket Its not fully formed yet, but it works. With all the leverage, slack in the hitch, slack in the pivot point, and a little deflection in the vertical piece.... so I included some camber on one side of the base piece. I've made a couple of crude shim bushings to let it spin a little more freely if needed.... All that, and I need to find a hand winch I have a little more faith in, and I'd feel comfortable putting together a kit. Definitely not something to play under when the tent is 8' in the air.

View attachment 1660072 View attachment 1660073
Hey man. Good start! I can see potential. Keep me posted.

I thought I had seen this done before with a hitch mounted hoist.
offroadTB.com • View topic - Homemade Roof Top Tent

I am sure I saw on another site last year where this had been done also.
Anyways, it is a very cool idea for sure.

Pretty cool. A little more complex than what I've done. I've seen some other DIY ones on the internet. That boom looks massive. If I need to move my tent on the ground, I just stick it on a dolly.

I'm trying to get this to where it pulls apart easily, folds up, and can be shipped. We'll see if that actually happens. If I wasn't limiting myself to those dimensions, I'd hard weld a big gusset at the top and call it good.

We built a 2 arm structure off our wood shed so when we want it off we can pull out LC along side of it and slide it off and on. We’re pushing the 70’s so easy is a word at the top of our world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom