oem soft top questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
Questions for oem soft top owners. I ordered a pvc soft top and frame recently and saw that most if not all have straps at the rear corners. I've ordered mine with twist fastners like the ones on the side, does anyone who has installed one think this is a mistake?
Being that it's not canvas I'm thinking it shouldn't shrink much. Are the straps there to tighten the top? I'd rather not see them there, but if they serve a function I'd most certainly leave them there. Any input would be appreciated.
Also anyone who has one,how many straps do you have on your rear window flap? My barn doors only have 4 footman loops 2 on each door ,but it seems like I see tops with 6 straps.

This is My set up on 1/79 FJ43L-KC ,

I think its all factory original , footman's loops and twist lock holes But the truck was restored / paint job by the PO

I have 3 snap-straps on each of my roll up sides

I'm currently having some Canvas or PCV TOP related work done on the top @ the shop , including replacing all 6 roll up snap straps

DSCN6086.JPG
DSCN6087.JPG
DSCN6088.JPG
DSCN6089.JPG
DSCN6090.JPG

I don
Questions for oem soft top owners. I ordered a pvc soft top and frame recently and saw that most if not all have straps at the rear corners. I've ordered mine with twist fastners like the ones on the side, does anyone who has installed one think this is a mistake?
Being that it's not canvas I'm thinking it shouldn't shrink much. Are the straps there to tighten the top? I'd rather not see them there, but if they serve a function I'd most certainly leave them there. Any input would be appreciated.
Also anyone who has one,how many straps do you have on your rear window flap? My barn doors only have 4 footman loops 2 on each door ,but it seems like I see tops with 6 straps.

I don't know if its's because its a Late Model 1/79 - later
or
if because its a NON-USA ?

But i dont have footman's loops on the barn doors ?

The PCV / or canvas is through Bolted through the bard door with 6mm Hex bolts

Its a Good Sturdy set up , but not really meant to go ON and OFF every weekend

DSCN6091.JPG
DSCN6092.JPG
DSCN6093.JPG
DSCN6094.JPG
DSCN6095.JPG

I helped a friend install a SOR vinyl soft top and we used a twist lock on that corner. l
DSCN6086.JPG
only thing is it leaves a lump under the fabric.

Last edited:
My ‘64 FST has 6 footman loops on the tailgate, and 3 more on each corner. While many additional holes have also been drilled, I have identified 6 holes on each side for twist-locks that were factory.

Best picture I have of the footman loops.

21A626DB-77A2-4567-8C4A-087EE25C16B7.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a canvas top and have straps. My two cents? Go with straps and not twist locks so you can snug it down. I would think this would be particularly important with a PVC top as they do not tighten up on their own.

I ordered mine without holes for any twist locks and with four straps across the rear flap only-my drop down tailgate has 4 factory footman loops.I installed my own grommets in the top and twist locks along the sides and at the rear corners of the tub.No issues and fitment is fine.

Thanks, thats what i'm going to try to do. Is yours pvc or canvas, and how did it look on the rear corners doing it this way?

I have a canvas top and have straps. My two cents? Go with straps and not twist locks so you can snug it down. I would think this would be particularly important with a PVC top as they do not tighten up on their own.
I think if I was going with the canvas I'd want the straps because of the shrinking and stretching that goes on.My thinking is once I get these on where I want them it should pretty much stay there, hopefully!

I think if I was going with the canvas I'd want the straps because of the shrinking and stretching that goes on.My thinking is once I get these on where I want them it should pretty much stay there, hopefully!
That's true. The only thing that worries me is if you're running it on a hot day with the door windows open, and the fabric loosens up because of the heat and air flow to the back, the material could start flapping around. I am sure it would be fine though.

My back window is going to be the roll up kind, that's why I was asking about the amount of straps on that roll up window. I see what you mean about seeing the snaps through the fabric, I hadn't thought about that.

I have had several ragtops on mine over the years and have welded many old holes up. Seems every top maker has there own design except the original tops. I really like the newest Bestop type the has the bar hookup for sides and back. You can also roll up sides and rear, kinda like a Jeep thing and unfortunately it makes it look a little like a Jeep. Personally I like a bikini top on my rig or slap on a hard top on for a couple months here in So California.

I have had several ragtops on mine over the years and have welded many old holes up. Seems every top maker has there own design except the original tops. I really like the newest Bestop type the has the bar hookup for sides and back. You can also roll up sides and rear, kinda like a Jeep thing and unfortunately it makes it look a little like a Jeep. Personally I like a bikini top on my rig or slap on a hard top on for a couple months here in So California.

Just off the top of my head:

Toyota changed the brackets that attached the rear bows to the body tub a little over the years. The main bow had a hard door or soft/early door version. The rear bows changed depending upon the rear setup: drop down tailgate/dutch doors or ambulance style doors.

Kind of a side note, When we installed the PVC top we had to install our own grommets and twist locks. Rather than cut ovals for the grommets we installed the grommets first where we wanted them then used a hot ice pick to kinda ream out the oval using the grommet as the template. It not only left the perfect "cut out" but also "welded" the PVC fabric so it wouldn't unravel.

I'm really leaning toward a Bestop for the same reasons, except the Jeep thing. The doors are cool too, they convert to half doors. $1400 shipped most places

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom