Knuckle rebuild bearing preload dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, today I’m putting my knuckles on. I’ve got the marlin crawler rebuild kit with new bearings, I’ve added one thin and one thick shim to the top and bottom and torqued the upper and lower cap bolts to 45Lb
I’m getting 13-15lb on the pull scale
I’m running 33” mud terrains
Call it a day ?
Also there’s a little bump in the feel when I turn the knuckle side to side. Anyone else get that ?

How did you select those shims? Was the how they were setup when you took it apart? If not, they you are almost sure to have the knuckle miss aligned. You may have it misaligned even if you do put the shims back how you found them. There are many cases where a po next tech added shims haphazardly to get preload correct without taking care to center everything (if the job has been done in the past). This is what I experienced when I did the knuckle job. It was WAY off. Hence the leaking. Used a sst and got it all fixed up.

Bottom line.... if you think that this is the first time the truck has had the knuckle job done, then you have a good shot at everything being ok if you put it back the way you found it. If not, it is best to use a sst to Measure and verify shim thickness and placement.
Good luck.

How did you select those shims? Was the how they were setup when you took it apart? If not, they you are almost sure to have the knuckle miss aligned. You may have it misaligned even if you do put the shims back how you found them. There are many cases where a po next tech added shims haphazardly to get preload correct without taking care to center everything (if the job has been done in the past). This is what I experienced when I did the knuckle job. It was WAY off. Hence the leaking. Used a sst and got it all fixed up.

Bottom line.... if you think that this is the first time the truck has had the knuckle job done, then you have a good shot at everything being ok if you put it back the way you found it. If not, it is best to use a sst to Measure and verify shim thickness and placement.
Good luck.
Can’t remeber what shins were there exactly. Honestly I’ve been following the lowrangeoffroad vids on YouTube and using my manuals. No I didn’t use an SST. The lowrange vids say 1 thick 1 thin shim for starters and go from there.

Unfortunately, that is bad advice for getting centering correct. It may be a Good starting point to get you to the right preload but then you will still be left with an alignment issue :/

Unfortunately, that is bad advice for getting centering correct. It may be a Good starting point to get you to the right preload but then you will still be left with an alignment issue :/
I appreciate your advice
Any thoughts on were to obtain one with out spending an arm and a leg for a tool that ain’t gonna get used much ?

I’d suggest seeing if someone in your area has an sst that they would let you use.

Hate to suggest it, but I have heard that the marlin seals are more accommodating of shaft alignment issues, so you may be able to get away with it if you happen to be lucky and close. I was not going to risk it so I used an sst that I borrowed from another mud member......

I appreciate your advice
Any thoughts on were to obtain one with out spending an arm and a leg for a tool that ain’t gonna get used much ?

Post something on your local board or on the main tech site. Someone may be willing to let you borrow one or rent it. I’m sure there are a lot of guys that have them sitting around collecting duct and would love to get a few extra clams to spend on a few decent 6packs.

Wait. One problem I just though of. If I remember correctly, you have to use the sst before the seals are pressed in. Sounds like are are past that point, so you would need another set of seals:/. It’s been a while and my memory sucks but I believe that to be the case.

Knuckle Centering Tool

Not gonna find cheaper than that unless someone is willing to let a used go cheap, but the price of this NEW reproduction is the usual price of the OTC used....

@reevesci

Post something on your local board or on the main tech site. Someone may be willing to let you borrow one or rent it. I’m sure there are a lot of guys that have them sitting around collecting duct and would love to get a few extra clams to spend on a few decent 6packs.

Wait. One problem I just though of. If I remember correctly, you have to use the sst before the seals are pressed in. Sounds like are are past that point, so you would need another set of seals:/. It’s been a while and my memory sucks but I believe that to be the case.
Feeling optimistic!!
Just set up for a third Time. This time with 2 thick shims instead of (one thin and one thick) torqued to 43lbs . 7-8 pounds on the pull scale and less bump feel. Think I may leave it at that .. my seals are already in, and that how too vid on the SST knuckle centering thingy is freaking confusing. I make pizza for a living lol

Feeling optimistic!!
Just set up for a third Time. This time with 2 thick shims instead of (one thin and one thick) torqued to 43lbs . 7-8 pounds on the pull scale and less bump feel. Think I may leave it at that .. my seals are already in, and that how too vid on the SST knuckle centering thingy is freaking confusing. I make pizza for a living lol

I make pizza ovens for a living:)

Good info in this thread. Thanks.

And I just eat pizza.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom